Apache use with Win95/NT like WinGate

Post by Scott Tetric » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

In particular, what I would like to do is to have the proxy server dial up
the ISP, if necessary, when accessed remotely.  Right now, the 1.3b2 version
of apache for NT doesn't have the proxy stuff compiled in, and even if it
were, I don't see the directives to allow dialing out to an ISP, with
passwords etc.

Quote:>For all the smart Apache folks out other, is it possible to get apache to
do
>what WinGate reports to do, namely, act as a single internet access point
>for a network of machines?  If so, what needs to be done?

Apache use with Win95/NT like WinGate

Post by Scott Tetric » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

The Win95 makefile doesn't work for configuring new modules into Apache, and
I just haven't had time to fix the makefile.  Sounds like it is possible,
and I'll send out the information when I can get it fixed.  I did compile
the source.  Is there any special Apache setup required for the Linux
autodial?

Thanks!
Scott Tetrick
Intel Corporation

>>Apache can act as a proxy server so that clients inside your
>>network can make HTTP requests to the world via a single
>>computer, yes.  Having it connect automatically is an issue with
>>making NT do so when there is traffic.

>This the way to go!

>And i think that WinGate is using this to autodial and connect to the ISP.

>On my little network at home i have a Linux machines that dials my ISP
whenever
>it's sees a request to a IP-number outside my network, so it's possible!
>--

+
Quote:> | All SPAM and AD's is saved in /dev/null and will NEVER reach my
mailbox!! |

.

Apache use with Win95/NT like WinGate

Post by Marc Slemk » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>In particular, what I would like to do is to have the proxy server dial up
>the ISP, if necessary, when accessed remotely.  Right now, the 1.3b2 version
>of apache for NT doesn't have the proxy stuff compiled in, and even if it
>were, I don't see the directives to allow dialing out to an ISP, with
>passwords etc.

You make no sense.  Only on a truly demented operating system would
proxy servers dial up the phone.  Your network's IP stack is
supposed to do that.  Apache does not have such functionality and
never will because it is the wrong place for it, no matter what
Windows pretents.

Apache can act as a proxy server so that clients inside your
network can make HTTP requests to the world via a single
computer, yes.  Having it connect automatically is an issue with
making NT do so when there is traffic.

I'm not sure what you are talking about "the 1.3b2 version ...
doesn't have the proxy stuff compiled in."  Of course it doesn't
because there is no binary.  If you are using some third party
binary that you didn't compile yourself then you are own your own
with it and any viruses or trojans that you may get from it.

Quote:>>For all the smart Apache folks out other, is it possible to get apache to
>do
>>what WinGate reports to do, namely, act as a single internet access point
>>for a network of machines?  If so, what needs to be done?

Apache use with Win95/NT like WinGate

Post by Gunnar Dahlstr » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Apache can act as a proxy server so that clients inside your
>network can make HTTP requests to the world via a single
>computer, yes.  Having it connect automatically is an issue with
>making NT do so when there is traffic.

This the way to go!

And i think that WinGate is using this to autodial and connect to the ISP.

On my little network at home i have a Linux machines that dials my ISP whenever
it's sees a request to a IP-number outside my network, so it's possible!
 | All SPAM and AD's is saved in /dev/null and will NEVER reach my mailbox!! |
 : If YOU wan't the same, take a look at procmail and at the articles about  :
 . filtering with procmail at http://spam.abuse.net/!                        .

Apache use with Win95/NT like WinGate

Post by Marc Slemk » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>The Win95 makefile doesn't work for configuring new modules into Apache, and
>I just haven't had time to fix the makefile.  Sounds like it is possible,

Why do you need to adjust the makefile to add modules?  Under Windows,
the general idea is that modules are compiled into DLLs and added
via LoadModule commands at runtime.  This is because most people
will not have a compiler to compile their own server; this is different
from Unix, where there are decent compilers freely available that
are in widespread use.

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Help Printing from WinXP to Fedora via SAMBA

3. mars_nwe only likes ms-dos, no win95

4. bork bork bork!

5. Toys'R Us Likes NT Best

6. Multiple Sites In Same Domain

7. Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

8. Limit outbound telnet to few hosts?

9. using MI/X as an openwindows Xserver for Win95/NT

10. Slackware Linux client and Win95/WinGate server

11. FBSD, WIN95 and Wingate

12. win95, wingate, and linux

13. How to port C program using ncurses to Win95/NT ?