learn unix shell programming

Post by Netmask » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:00:13

I am a newbie in Unix. I would like to learn about unix shell
programming.
Can anyone propose me a good ftp or web site that summarizes the
basics in a well-presented way of the unix shell programming (for
downloading..) ?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:02:50

> I am a newbie in Unix. I would like to learn about unix shell
> programming.
> Can anyone propose me a good ftp or web site that summarizes the
> basics in a well-presented way of the unix shell programming (for
> downloading..) ?

Lordy, there must be thousands.

If you look at scripts you already use, you can pick up a lot.  Reading
this newgroup regularly is also illuminating.

--
Tony Lawrence
SCO/Linux Support Tips, How-To's, Tests and more: http://pcunix.com

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 04:43:52

> > I am a newbie in Unix. I would like to learn about unix shell
> > programming.
> > Can anyone propose me a good ftp or web site that summarizes the
> > basics in a well-presented way of the unix shell programming (for
> > downloading..) ?

> Lordy, there must be thousands.

> If you look at scripts you already use, you can pick up a lot.  Reading
> this newgroup regularly is also illuminating.

You will probably find something that suits you in this collection of
links: http://www.shelldorado.com/links/

Beyond that, read, and try to understand, the many examples on any
*nix system and in the collections accessible from the above link.

Then practice writing your own scripts (including modifying existing
scripts). Don't start with a major project; write small scripts or
functions to do specific tasks. These can be incorporated into larger
scripts.

If you have specific questions, or run into problems, post the
unco-operative code here and you'll get lots of help.

    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2002, Chris F.A. Johnson

Post by Brian Hile » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 05:07:00

>> I am a newbie in Unix. I would like to learn about unix shell
>> programming.
> Lordy, there must be thousands.

And all in different places, with no common index -- until recently.
I recently gave Heiner Steven, the maintainer of "ShellDorado,"
all of my bookmarks to online shell scripting resources, archives,
and tutorials, to complement his own. The best use of your time is
looking there second:

www.shelldorado.com (looks under "links")

I say "second" because you _obviously_ performed a 'Web search for
"shell" and "tutorial" to find these yourself, right? All the sites
at shelldorado would be hits in even the most cursory search --
but we've done most of the work for you in selecting the best ones.

=Brian

1. VMS shell under Unix (was: Re: why learn UNIX)

Robert,

        Someone has.  At the Fall DEXPO in San Francisco, Convex (the
makers of a Unix mini-supercomputer) showed their VMS environment
running on their C-1 machine.  (It looked like all it consisted of was
a bunch of aliases and shell scripts.)  It complements their VAX/VMS
FORTRAN (source-code) compatible extended compiler.  I'm sure their
reason for doing this was to attract the FORTRAN-coding engineers who
have grown used to VMS and its compiler but could really use the extra
speed the C-1 could give them.

        Comment:  It may not be ideologically pure, but the
combination of an inexpensive fast machine, a familiar-feeling FORTRAN
development environment, as well as access to all those nice Unix
software development aids *must* be commercially attractive in some
quarters.

Dick Dramstad

2. fcping - a utility to troubleshoot SAN related device issues

3. learning unix programming by studying unix source code ?

4. alignment explain

5. Learn one shell or learn them all..?

6. CIFS oops

7. Installing custom shells Was Re: Csh Programming Considered Harmful - comp.unix.shell #10160 (fwd)

8. What happened to DES?

9. Learning from Unix shell sources

10. Learning UNIX/Linux shell scripting (ksh) and sed / awk...

11. Which Shell script is GOOD/EASY to learn for Unix System Admin ???

12. Learning from Unix shell sources