How to catch tar output

Post by Philippe Bondo » Wed, 08 Dec 1993 20:03:44

I'd like in a sh/ksh script to be able to "catch" the output from
tar in order to prompt the user more verbosely: i.e when tar issues
    tar: /dev/rfd0: Device not ready
I'd like this to be changed to something like:
    insert the diskette labeled foo, then press enter
The same thing when tar is at the end of the first diskette and asks
for the next one.
I'm thinking of something using FIFOs, or tee, or ...

Thanks in advance for any hint

--

Dept 1403.30                              Tel. (+33) 67 34 45 64
CESA IBM de Montpellier                   Fax. (+33) 67 34 67 81

How to catch tar output

Post by Stefan Monni » Wed, 08 Dec 1993 23:11:04

> I'd like this to be changed to something like:
>     insert the diskette labeled foo, then press enter
> The same thing when tar is at the end of the first diskette and asks
> for the next one.

Switch to GNU tar, it does all of this automatically (if you specify
the -M switch). And you can even tell him to pipe the archive through
gzip or compress...

        Stefan

-- On the average, people seem to be acting normal --

1. catching output from inetd ?

Hi -
  How can I catch output from /etc/inetd ?
When I change /etc/default/inet to use its printfs and
start /etc/inetd from /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp as usual, but try to
redirect output there (>fn 2>&1), nothing comes out.
`
  All the output goes to the console, or whatever tty I'm looking at,
which makes the machine unusable when the printfs are turned on.

--
Overheard: "What do you mean Thats only a half board foot per foot of board ?"

2. Wireless Netgear MA401 Prism2 Drivers; 2.4.18+

3. Catch Output

4. Tape question

5. catching standard output into a file

6. virtual hosting and access passwords.

7. Catching output to /dev/tty

8. Help installing packages on 1.4.1 Alpha

9. Calling popen() and catching output

10. Catching g++ output

11. How do I catch all output

12. Help...Catching terminal output from cpio

13. Catching CGI output on Linux vs. NT