zsh backspace on RS6000

Post by Guido Rom » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have installed the zsh on an IBM RS6000 power2; the backspace key (and
also Delete or C^h) does not work, it produces a blank after the last
letter.
But in fact it's only the appearance, because pressing enter the result
is correct.
Exactly the same executable works properly on an IBM PowerPC (TERM being
set to xterm on both).
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
        Guido

CECAM - ENS Lyon. Aile LR5, 46 Allee d'Italie, 69364 Lyon CEDEX 07 - Fr
Phone: [+33] - [0]4 72 72 86 31 -- Fax: [+33] - [0]4 72 72 86 36

zsh backspace on RS6000

Post by Edward M. Le » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Try setting the TERMCAP or TERMLIB variable to "fix" the backspace problem.
 Or, just stty erase "your-erase-char-here"

In any case, try man termcap and man stty.

Cheers.

Post by Veksler Micha » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I have installed the zsh on an IBM RS6000 power2; the backspace key (and
: also Delete or C^h) does not work, it produces a blank after the last
: letter.
: But in fact it's only the appearance, because pressing enter the result
: is correct.
: Exactly the same executable works properly on an IBM PowerPC (TERM being
: set to xterm on both).
: Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I have the same problem. It seems that zsh is not able to use the
terminfo database, it uses termcap instead. /etc/termcap does not have many
entries like xterm.
There should be a way to force zsh to use terminfo, I just did not have
the time to play with it. I believe that "export TERM=vt100" will make
things a bit better, but that is not the correct solution...

If you figure out how to hack the Makefile or "configure", please
tell me.

Thanks

Michael

zsh backspace on RS6000

Post by Donn Ca » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

| I have the same problem. It seems that zsh is not able to use the
| terminfo database, it uses termcap instead. /etc/termcap does not have many
| entries like xterm.
| There should be a way to force zsh to use terminfo, I just did not have
| the time to play with it. I believe that "export TERM=vt100" will make
| things a bit better, but that is not the correct solution...

I link applications against -lcurses to get terminfo, on AIX.

It's good to know that zsh requires termcap/terminfo to function
normally - reason to avoid it.

1. KDE: kvt + zsh -- problem with BACKSPACE

When I invoke zsh from within kvt and try using BACKSPACE key,
it does something odd -- it moves cursor to the right instead of
left. Funny thing is: it *does* erase characters to the *left* of its
original position, you just can't tell it does that by looking at
your kvt window. Zsh under xterm as well as bash under kvt work
properly. Playing with different setting in "Terminal" option of
kvt yielded no results. Linux version is Slackware 3.4, KDE is Beta 4.

-mk

2. Wacom tablet/Xinput problem

3. zsh on RS6000

4. System performance/metering s/w wanted Sol 251

5. Delete and backspace in RS6000?????

6. SUMMARY : Cleaning up /lost+found

7. zsh: problem starting zsh xterm after upgrading glibc

8. Need Help Installing Enlightenment

9. Where to get Intro to zsh.ps and zsh.info

10. A question about zsh and wildcards; zsh and history

11. backspace does delete not backspace

12. backspace in X vs backspace in console

13. Can the BackSpace key send an ASCII Backspace (^H)?