How about THIS stupid stunt!

Post by Patrick Gir » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Try this one on for size!  A student had just finished reading some Unix
book or whatever.  He decided to start playing around with his file
permissions.  After about 5 minutes, he thought his **** didn't stink
anymore and thought he was hot stuff...well he didn't realize that the dot
files have executable permissions and changed them all to permissions in
the 600 arena!!!

Well, the next time he tried to login.....

See, there is justice..... B)

How about THIS stupid stunt!

Post by Rob Hoof » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

 PG> Try this one on for size!  A student had just finished reading
 PG> some Unix book or whatever.  He decided to start playing around
 PG> with his file permissions.  After about 5 minutes, he thought his
 PG> **** didn't stink anymore and thought he was hot stuff...well he
 PG> didn't realize that the dot files have executable permissions and
 PG> changed them all to permissions in the 600 arena!!!

Mine don't have execute bits set....

nu[129]src%% ls -lL ~/.zsh{env,rc}
-rw-r--r--   1 hooft    vriend       3334 Sep 26 16:06 /nu1/hooft/home/.zshenv
-rw-r--r--   1 hooft    vriend       7236 Aug 17 15:14 /nu1/hooft/home/.zshrc

 PG> Well, the next time he tried to login.....

He probably got a completely standard setup? And so what?

 PG> See, there is justice..... B)

Sorry, I don't think this is particularly funny.
--

==== In need of protein modeling?  http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/whatif/
Validation of protein structures?  http://biotech.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE:8400/ ====

How about THIS stupid stunt!

Post by Paul D. Smi » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Uhh... by "dotfiles" I think he means his "."  directory... changing
this to 600 surely would*you.

Still, you're right, it's not particularly funny :)

 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.veryComputer.com/;-
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.

How about THIS stupid stunt!

Post by Jerzy Tomas » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Try this one on for size!  A student had just finished reading some Unix
>book or whatever.  He decided to start playing around with his file
>permissions.  After about 5 minutes, he thought his **** didn't stink
>anymore and thought he was hot stuff...well he didn't realize that the dot
>files have executable permissions and changed them all to permissions in
>the 600 arena!!!
>Well, the next time he tried to login.....

I'd venture a guess that the majority of the problems where people blame
the computer, UFO's, KGB and some such, are caused by clueless people
using the chmod command.  Some of those people have root password ;-)

The only time I use chmod is to make a script executable or to fix somebody's
mistake.

-Jerzy

How about THIS stupid stunt!

Post by Rob Hoof » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

 PDS> Uhh... by "dotfiles" I think he means his "."
 PDS> directory... changing this to 600 surely would*you.

It would, if the current directory is your home directory. But that
would not only happen at the next login, but immediately.

I think Patrick himself did not read this nice book about unix and
thus might not know the distinction between a "file of which the name
starts with a dot", affectionately called a "dotfile", and "the
directory named .", affectionately called the "current or working
directory".  And the user's home directory is the working directory at
login time... right....

I happen to think that people that read manuals/books and run into
minor problems through their experiments are very welcome to ask
questions in this group.  People like Patrick, however, who are
actively discouraging people from learning....

Rob.
--

==== In need of protein modeling?  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Validation of protein structures?  http://www.veryComputer.com/:8400/ ====

Post by Bojan Zdrn » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Uhh... by "dotfiles" I think he means his "."  directory... changing
: this to 600 surely would*you.

Probably. And when that student tryed to login he got something like: No
permission in /home/student/xxxxx, logging with / as home.
One chmod 700 $HOME should do the job ...

Regards, Bojan

--

WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE | URL:
AND MUSIC NEVER STOPS  | http://www.veryComputer.com/~ld/

How about THIS stupid stunt!

Post by Harrison Berger » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Once upon a midnight dreary,

 >I'd venture a guess that the majority of the problems where people blame
 >the computer, UFO's, KGB and some such, are caused by clueless people
 >using the chmod command.  Some of those people have root password ;-)

        Believe it or not, an admin that didn't want me to have
        root access to do some work (which really required it)
        became extremely happy after I mentioned that I "only"
        needed to have my machine in the hosts.equiv file and
        that I wouldn't need the root password.  This person then
        couldn't figure out how someone kept logging in as root.
        No, I'm not kidding.

--

1. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Hi All,

<hangs head in shame>

I've downloaded the latest patchpro from sun, and like a stupid idiot
didn't read the instructions and installed the packages using

pkgadd -d /export/home/luser/pproSunOSx865.9re2.2

this listed 11 packages, and I blindly installed them all. Now when I
installed patchpro using the setup script it install but doesn't run
properly.

Is there a way roll back these packages that I have installed, and if I
take a note of them, will it put the system back the way it was before,
or has this overwritten some previous versions files.

I have uninstalled patchpro using the uninstall script BTW.

Needless to say, this is not a production server!
Many thanks in advance,

P.

2. StarOffice Reg Key

3. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

4. KiKbd: X11 error: BadWindow (invalid window parameter)

5. stupid stupid stupid

6. Ensoniq AudioPCI Ct4810 woes

7. M$ and their publicity stunt

8. uugetty_ps

9. home ultra 10 crazy CDE stunt?

10. SCO's NDA offer a PR stunt COMPUTERWORLD.com

11. OOPS/stunted boot, aic7xxx, 2.4.x

12. Stupid or not so stupid questions

13. Stupid, stupid question