HELP needed with 'tar'.

Post by Scott Seo » Wed, 04 Aug 1993 07:55:21

The 'tar' command does not restore the mode (permission) of a directory if
the directory already exists on the target media with different mode.

For example,
[/usr/home/my/dir] mkdir test
[/usr/home/my/dir] chmod 777 test
[/usr/home/my/dir] tar cvf test.tar `pwd`/test
[/usr/home/my/dir] chmod 755 test
[/usr/home/my/dir] tar xvpf test.tar
[/usr/home/my/dir] ls -ld test
-rwxr-xr-x  1 some_user_name        0 Aug  2 13:13 test
[/usr/home/my/dir]

I tried this on SunOS and Ultrix but both behave the same way.  Is there
a way I can restore the mode of a directory with 'tar'?
--
Scott Seong

1. Looking for a better 'tar' than 'tar'

        I'm looking for a better tape archive program than 'tar'.  I'm
looking for the same functionality as tar (adding files to an archive,
multiple archives, etc.), but I need something that deals gracefully
with read errors.  I'm running DEC ULTRIX on a DECstation 5000, and
our version of tar aborts if it encounters a read error on the tape,
making the rest of the archive following the error inaccessible.

        Backward compatibility is not required - this will be used to
create new archives rather than working with archives made by tar.

--
Mark D. Conner
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

2. Configuring NetMeeting on SCO Unix

3. Need help understanding 'tar'

4. Problem using Ghostscript/Epson Printer

5. Need Help: 'tar xvMf /dev/fd0 foo' not working properly

6. XDM in 16 bpp

7. BUG: 'tar +help' doesn't work with libc.so.4.4!!

8. caldera lilo regain

9. Need help for 'ipfw' with 'fwd' option

10. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

11. I need an 'md,' but do I need a 'mkdev?'

12. where can I find source for 'dd' and 'tar'??

13. HELP: how to kill a stopped 'tar' job?