downloading question

Post by kaie » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm sorry to take up space in this newsgroup but i have tried everywhere else.
 I am new at unix shelll, I believe the system I'm on is bash new bourne.
 At any
rate, I looked through the faq and could not find the answer to this question:
        How do I download files from my home directory in my unix shell
 account, to my home computer. In books I've read, it says to try rx,rz or
kermit, but htse only give me error messages. I'm at my wit's end. Any help
or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

downloading question

Post by Bill Marc » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I'm sorry to take up space in this newsgroup but i have tried everywhere else.
> I am new at unix shelll, I believe the system I'm on is bash new bourne.
> At any
>rate, I looked through the faq and could not find the answer to this question:
>    How do I download files from my home directory in my unix shell
> account, to my home computer. In books I've read, it says to try rx,rz or
>kermit, but htse only give me error messages. I'm at my wit's end. Any help
>or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you are downloading files, you should use sx or sz, assuming those programs
exist on the host system (what error messages do you get?)

--
Bill Marcum    bmarcum at iglou dot com

Quote:>YOU MUST CEASE AND DESIST YOUR ECLECTIC THIXOTROPERY.
>                                                -- K.
>                                                Not wearing a toupee.

downloading question

Post by Dr. W » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: I'm sorry to take up space in this newsgroup but i have tried everywhere else.
:  I am new at unix shelll, I believe the system I'm on is bash new bourne.
:  At any
: rate, I looked through the faq and could not find the answer to this question:
:       How do I download files from my home directory in my unix shell
:  account, to my home computer. In books I've read, it says to try rx,rz or
: kermit, but htse only give me error messages. I'm at my wit's end. Any help
: or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Like the other person said, you should use "sz filename".  However, (and I
know this sounds kind of braindead) I've seen some systems where they use
the "lsz / lrz" programs (usuallly linux and freebsd systems) but they
neglected to include the symlink from, say  lsz -> sz  and so on.  Try
typing "lsz filename" if the above doesn't work.  If that DOES work, then
complain to the sysadmin about it...

--
                  Linux/FreeBSD Fanatic: "NT = No Thanks"

1. HTTP download question

Hi,

I have problems with a C program. I just want to download a single file
by HTTP.
Here's a piece of my code:

    while (bytes_received != 0) {
      bytes_received = read(sockfd, buffer, 512);
      fprintf(file, "%s", buffer);
      strcpy(buffer, "");
    }

The program downloads the file with no problem but at the end of each
part given by read(...), some characters are added !
Where does it come from. Do I use the socket correctly ?

Thanks for your help

Benoit

2. Recommended dual Xeon motherboard for 2.4?

3. Download question

4. CD-ROM not installed

5. Downloading question

6. Can't download files with sz (or any of theothers).

7. Easy Web Download Question

8. Unknown user

9. newbie download questions

10. Adaptec 2940 and AAA-131- microcode download question

11. Mandrake download question

12. Newbie netscape download question

13. Stalled Downloads Question...