question about process memory usage and process memory limits

question about process memory usage and process memory limits

Post by dwillmo » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:45:53

i'd like to check the memory usage of an application (binary executable).

I'd also like to find out if my UNIX system (Tru64) has any utility
to show process memory limits and job memory limits.

ipcs - is one utility, but i'm not sure.

simple tests are fine, tests for shared memory may come later.

please advise.

question about process memory usage and process memory limits

Post by Neocomple » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:21:15

Hi,

hopefully this can help, but why not use the "top" command, it gives you
realtime info about memory usage, etc.

cu neocomplex

Post by nullepar » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:50:02

> i'd like to check the memory usage of an application (binary executable).

> I'd also like to find out if my UNIX system (Tru64) has any utility
> to show process memory limits and job memory limits.

> ipcs - is one utility, but i'm not sure.

> simple tests are fine, tests for shared memory may come later.

> please advise.

top is good, but I don't think it comes by default with tru64.  you can find
the source on the web though at http://www.groupsys.com/top/download.html.
you can also use ulimit (or limit in csh), but i don't know how useful it is
for your purposes.  i usually use it to set my user data limit to the
maximum (hard limit).