Annoy CSH behavior - deleting words in the command line

Annoy CSH behavior - deleting words in the command line

Post by Jason Kolosei » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00



Currently my csh is exhibiting a extremely annoying
trait.  When I try backspace over the last character
I typed, csh blows away the entire word instead.  While
this is neat idea, I make enough typing mistakes that
this very annoying.  I assume that this is controlled
by a simple setting, but I can't find any reference to
it.

So before I throw the keyboard and return to by beloved
ksh, please someone, anyone, please help.

Thank you

Jason Koloseike

 
 
 

Annoy CSH behavior - deleting words in the command line

Post by ult.. » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Three little letters:

k    s    h

Kermit Lowry, III



> Currently my csh is exhibiting a extremely annoying
> trait.  When I try backspace over the last character
> I typed, csh blows away the entire word instead.  While
> this is neat idea, I make enough typing mistakes that
> this very annoying.  I assume that this is controlled
> by a simple setting, but I can't find any reference to
> it.

> So before I throw the keyboard and return to by beloved
> ksh, please someone, anyone, please help.

> Thank you

> Jason Koloseike


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

 
 
 

Annoy CSH behavior - deleting words in the command line

Post by Dav » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> So before I throw the keyboard and return to by beloved
> ksh, please someone, anyone, please help.

The best help I can give is to go back to ksh.
Really.

+---------------------+---------------+


+---------------------+---------------+

 
 
 

Annoy CSH behavior - deleting words in the command line

Post by Tim J Goodw » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00




>Currently my csh is exhibiting a extremely annoying
>trait.  When I try backspace over the last character
>I typed, csh blows away the entire word instead.

It sounds like you've got werase set to ^H (backspace) or ^? (delete).
You can use the `stty' command to check (`stty -a') and to reset it to
something sensible (`stty werase ^W').

Tim.
--
Tim Goodwin   | "You don't need to do * in order to
University of | think that the government's policies are
Leicester, UK | stupid and dangerous." -- David Bancroft

 
 
 

Annoy CSH behavior - deleting words in the command line

Post by Jason Kolosei » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00


I wish I could, but the development environment I work in,
only works correctly with csh.


>Three little letters:

>k    s    h

>Kermit Lowry, III



>> Currently my csh is exhibiting a extremely annoying
>> trait.  When I try backspace over the last character
>> I typed, csh blows away the entire word instead.  While
>> this is neat idea, I make enough typing mistakes that
>> this very annoying.  I assume that this is controlled
>> by a simple setting, but I can't find any reference to
>> it.

>> So before I throw the keyboard and return to by beloved
>> ksh, please someone, anyone, please help.

>> Thank you

>> Jason Koloseike

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Jason Koloseike

 
 
 

Annoy CSH behavior - deleting words in the command line

Post by Jason Kolosei » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00






>>Currently my csh is exhibiting a extremely annoying
>>trait.  When I try backspace over the last character
>>I typed, csh blows away the entire word instead.

>It sounds like you've got werase set to ^H (backspace) or ^? (delete).
>You can use the `stty' command to check (`stty -a') and to reset it to
>something sensible (`stty werase ^W').

Thanks that was the problem.

Jason Koloseike

 
 
 

1. How to delete previous or next word in command line editing?

Hi all,

I am using Redhat 7.2 on a PC. The login shell is bash. I wanted to use the
same keys to do command line editing as in Emacs, so I put the line

set -o emacs

in $HOME/.bashrc. The cursor moving works fine, like moving to head/end of
line, and to forward/backward word, but I can't delete a word like I do in
Emacs by just pressing <ESC-d> or <ESC-Delete>. I have to use <Backspace>
or <Delete> to delete a word character by character.

I searched Google around but failed to find a straightforward way. Could
somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Robson

2. REDHAT 4.0 DNS & Dialup PROBLEM

3. Find a string, delete that line, delete 1 line before it and all lines after it...

4. iptables rule problems

5. csh with a command on the command line

6. Linux gives NMI error 20

7. Getting words of an aliased command (csh)

8. DSL on solaris anyone?

9. delete 3 lines after a word

10. tcsh's vi command line mode: How to Change Word Delimiter

11. what command /script grab line exactly matched a word

12. BASH: command line history-> word substitution????

13. BASH: how to refer to first word in command line ?