delete a special character file

Post by Punn » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:07:14

Hi,

This seems like a dumb question, but I'm out of ideas,

I created a file called --no-includes by mistake.

Now I'm trying to delete it...

I"ve tried putting quotes around it, escaping backlashes,
and every combination.  I would use something like nautilus but my nautilus
has died somehow and I don't really care to bring it up since I never use it
anyways...

There must be a way via command line?

any ideas? thanks.

delete a special character file

Post by Bill Marc » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:55:18

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:07:14 GMT,

>Hi,

>This seems like a dumb question, but I'm out of ideas,

>I created a file called --no-includes by mistake.

>Now I'm trying to delete it...

>I"ve tried putting quotes around it, escaping backlashes,
>and every combination.  I would use something like nautilus but my nautilus
>has died somehow and I don't really care to bring it up since I never use it
>anyways...

>There must be a way via command line?

This is a Frequently Asked Question.
rm ./--no-includes
rm -- --no-includes

delete a special character file

Post by Tinti » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:41:28

Quote:> Hi,

> This seems like a dumb question, but I'm out of ideas,

Perhaps not dumb, but certain one of the most FAQ.

1. deleting file with special character in name

Through some unfortunate mistyping on my part, I've got a file called
"-C" on my Solaris box.  I've been trying to get rid of it, but every
method I've tried has failed.

I tried
  rm -C
and
  rm \-C
and
  rm "-C"
and
  rm "\-C"

but none of those work.  Can somebody show me a method that will
delete it?  Is there perhaps some way to determine it's inode and use
that to delete it?

thanks,

John.

2. Imakefile processing

3. Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How?

4. File Descriptors - how to tell if running low

5. install diamond fire card

6. Deleting filename with special characters

7. problem using 'exec' in shell script.

8. Problem with a non-special "special" character

9. \\\ Professional Images Virtual Domains/// Special Special Special Special

10. Deleting many files at once with wilcard characters in the file names

11. tcsh files with special characters

12. Need help in opening a character special file....