I need some expert Unix shell advice...

Post by Wayne Vaus » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:36:17

 Unix shells give anonymous access to IRC, newsgroups, or even the
internet. However, I am not sure where the best Unix shells are sold. I
need to be able access IRC and newsgroups, even surf the web anonymously
yet I do not want to sign up with a Unix shell provider that is not
trustworthy. A lot of providers are located in the USA, and I do not
really trust them because how do I know they do not sell personal
information to the f3dz or something *? I think there might be some
shell providers in Canada or Australia and I am not sure if they sell to
the USA. If someone can advise me, I would appreciate it.

I need some expert Unix shell advice...

Post by momshand.. » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:32:38

I use freeshell.org but i think they are front for the KGB. I think the
Sci3ntologists are watching me. You're not a Sci3ntologist are you? My
house is covered in aluminum foil so they can't scan my brain from
their sattelites.
Quote:>  Unix shells give anonymous access to IRC, newsgroups, or even the
> internet. However, I am not sure where the best Unix shells are sold. I
> need to be able access IRC and newsgroups, even surf the web anonymously
> yet I do not want to sign up with a Unix shell provider that is not
> trustworthy. A lot of providers are located in the USA, and I do not
> really trust them because how do I know they do not sell personal
> information to the f3dz or something *? I think there might be some
> shell providers in Canada or Australia and I am not sure if they sell to
> the USA. If someone can advise me, I would appreciate it.

1. Need Expert Advice on Bourne Shell Exit Status Checking

Hi there,

I'm trying to port several C-shell scripts to sh|ksh|bash.  These scripts
execute programs and test the return status when the program exits.  If the
program failed, the return status _is_printed_out_, as in

   # in csh
   /usr/appl/bin/someprogram arg1 arg2 arg3
   if ( $status != 0 ) then
      echo "Program someprogram failed with RC= $status "
   endif

I can't come up with any way to successfully capture the status of the
program so that it can be printed out.  These codes are set up to tell
the user where the failure occurred.  I've tried

   # in sh
   status=`/usr/appl/bin/someprogram arg1 arg2 arg3`
   if [ "$status" ]
   then
      echo "Program someprogram failed with RC= $status "
   fi

This fails because a program between backquotes (`) does not seem to have
the environment preserved -- no exported environmental variables seem to
be available to the program, and this is essential for these programs.

Using a raw test such as

   if /usr/appl/bin/someprogram arg1 arg2 arg3
   (stuff)

won't help, because the status value isn't available for displaying.
There's too many return values to test for them all.

Am I missing something obvious (or not so) here?

My opinions are my own. I can't even GIVE them away!

2. PnP Modem

3. Need a UNIX expert to create a new UNIX command

4. ipautofw, ipportfw, redir, ipchains, ipfwadm??

5. Need Routing Expert Advice

6. No Keyboard extentions

7. Need wise expert advice

8. Help! xdm!

9. Expert Advice Needed Urgently

10. Expert advice needed

11. Advice needed from Lunix Experts..

12. Expert Advice needed!!

13. Need expert advices on routing questions