how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by yondersta » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:28:00

i want to do this only  because i hear
copy/paste will be possible with the mouse enabled

thanks

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 05:09:39

Quote:

> i want to do this only  because i hear
> copy/paste will be possible with the mouse enabled

> thanks

As far as I know, the only way to do that is to install and configure
gpm. From Debian:

Package: gpm
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 324

Architecture: i386
Version: 1.19.6-5
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20010310-1), debianutils (>= 1.
7)
Filename: pool/main/g/gpm/gpm_1.19.6-5_i386.deb
Size: 143718
MD5sum: 5bc19e0ecf111c4a8bdfcb1064038ccd
 This package provides a daemon that listens to the mouse when the
 console is displayed, and delivers them to applications.
 .
 The default when no application is running is to emulate
 "selection", i.e. allow cut-and-paste with the mouse on the
 console the same way as under X.

I use (like right now) the textmode windowmanager screen, with which you
have ability to run *many* windows, split or otherwise, and copy and paste
between them without a mouse and lots of other cool things, like copy
files (by name) into a buffer and paste on another screen and boot up
with applications running in several, titled, screens, link to other
screen sessions on other computers, take screenshots, communicate
between users on other screens...

Again, from Debian:

Package: screen
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 532

Architecture: i386
Version: 3.9.10-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20010310-1), libpam0g (>= 0.72-
1), base-passwd (>= 2.0.3.4)
Pre-Depends: debconf (>= 0.2.17)
Conflicts: suidmanager (<< 0.52)
Filename: pool/main/s/screen/screen_3.9.10-1_i386.deb
Size: 262136
MD5sum: 7f2d73a17e26fc783e0ca244e1293277
 screen is a terminal multiplexor that runs several separate "screens"
 on a single physical character-based terminal.  Each virtual terminal
 emulates a DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions.
 Arbitrary keyboard input translation is also available.  Sessions can
 be detached and resumed later on a different terminal.

AC

Post by yondersta » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:47:45

> > i want to do this only  because i hear
> > copy/paste will be possible with the mouse enabled

> > thanks

> As far as I know, the only way to do that is to install and configure
> gpm. From Debian:

> Package: gpm
> Section: misc
> Installed-Size: 324

> Architecture: i386
> Version: 1.19.6-5
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20010310-1), debianutils (>= 1.
> 7)
> Filename: pool/main/g/gpm/gpm_1.19.6-5_i386.deb
> Size: 143718
> MD5sum: 5bc19e0ecf111c4a8bdfcb1064038ccd
>  This package provides a daemon that listens to the mouse when the
>  console is displayed, and delivers them to applications.
>  .
>  The default when no application is running is to emulate
>  "selection", i.e. allow cut-and-paste with the mouse on the
>  console the same way as under X.

> I use (like right now) the textmode windowmanager screen, with which you
> have ability to run *many* windows, split or otherwise, and copy and paste
> between them without a mouse and lots of other cool things, like copy
> files (by name) into a buffer and paste on another screen and boot up
> with applications running in several, titled, screens, link to other
> screen sessions on other computers, take screenshots, communicate
> between users on other screens...

> Again, from Debian:

> Package: screen
> Section: misc
> Installed-Size: 532

> Architecture: i386
> Version: 3.9.10-1
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20010310-1), libpam0g (>= 0.72-
> 1), base-passwd (>= 2.0.3.4)
> Pre-Depends: debconf (>= 0.2.17)
> Conflicts: suidmanager (<< 0.52)
> Filename: pool/main/s/screen/screen_3.9.10-1_i386.deb
> Size: 262136
> MD5sum: 7f2d73a17e26fc783e0ca244e1293277
>  screen is a terminal multiplexor that runs several separate "screens"
>  on a single physical character-based terminal.  Each virtual terminal
>  emulates a DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions.
>  Arbitrary keyboard input translation is also available.  Sessions can
>  be detached and resumed later on a different terminal.

> AC

thanks alan !

i'll try them immediately on my suse box
chances are that i'll be back for help real
soon coz i have to figure out how to install
debian package on suse -_-!

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 05:24:49

in comp.unix.shell i read:

Quote:>i want to do this only  because i hear
>copy/paste will be possible with the mouse enabled

consult the documentation for your otherwise unmentioned o/s.

--
a signature

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:23:54

>> > i want to do this only  because i hear
>> > copy/paste will be possible with the mouse enabled

>> > thanks

>> As far as I know, the only way to do that is to install and configure
>> gpm. From Debian:

>> Package: gpm
>> Section: misc
>> Installed-Size: 324

>> Architecture: i386
>> Version: 1.19.6-5
>> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20010310-1), debianutils (>= 1.
>> 7)
>> Filename: pool/main/g/gpm/gpm_1.19.6-5_i386.deb
>> Size: 143718
>> MD5sum: 5bc19e0ecf111c4a8bdfcb1064038ccd
>>  This package provides a daemon that listens to the mouse when the
>>  console is displayed, and delivers them to applications.
>>  .
>>  The default when no application is running is to emulate
>>  "selection", i.e. allow cut-and-paste with the mouse on the
>>  console the same way as under X.

>> I use (like right now) the textmode windowmanager screen, with which you
>> have ability to run *many* windows, split or otherwise, and copy and paste
>> between them without a mouse and lots of other cool things, like copy
>> files (by name) into a buffer and paste on another screen and boot up
>> with applications running in several, titled, screens, link to other
>> screen sessions on other computers, take screenshots, communicate
>> between users on other screens...

>> Again, from Debian:

>> Package: screen
>> Section: misc
>> Installed-Size: 532

>> Architecture: i386
>> Version: 3.9.10-1
>> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20010310-1), libpam0g (>= 0.72-
>> 1), base-passwd (>= 2.0.3.4)
>> Pre-Depends: debconf (>= 0.2.17)
>> Conflicts: suidmanager (<< 0.52)
>> Filename: pool/main/s/screen/screen_3.9.10-1_i386.deb
>> Size: 262136
>> MD5sum: 7f2d73a17e26fc783e0ca244e1293277
>>  screen is a terminal multiplexor that runs several separate "screens"
>>  on a single physical character-based terminal.  Each virtual terminal
>>  emulates a DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions.
>>  Arbitrary keyboard input translation is also available.  Sessions can
>>  be detached and resumed later on a different terminal.

>> AC

> thanks alan !

> i'll try them immediately on my suse box
> chances are that i'll be back for help real
> soon coz i have to figure out how to install
> debian package on suse -_-!

See if Suse has a package, or Redhat if Suse uses RPM.

Otherwise, assuming you have gcc installed, just get
the source tar ball from sourceforge.net or freshmeat.org.

$ tar xvzf  tarball_name

Then read the README in the newly created directory tree.

Is easy.

Screen can be a little daunting at first. I have a tutorial
and some links if you need them.

The info page for screen is excellent, so be sure and get
that too.

AC

--
It's all Geek to me.

Post by yondersta » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:04:20

> [...]

> >>  Arbitrary keyboard input translation is also available.  Sessions can
> >>  be detached and resumed later on a different terminal.

> >> AC

> > thanks alan !

> > i'll try them immediately on my suse box
> > chances are that i'll be back for help real
> > soon coz i have to figure out how to install
> > debian package on suse -_-!

> See if Suse has a package, or Redhat if Suse uses RPM.

> Otherwise, assuming you have gcc installed, just get
> the source tar ball from sourceforge.net or freshmeat.org.

> $ tar xvzf  tarball_name

> Then read the README in the newly created directory tree.

> Is easy.

> Screen can be a little daunting at first. I have a tutorial
> and some links if you need them.

> The info page for screen is excellent, so be sure and get

god screen is really daunting
1000 lines man pages!
do you have a cookbook style manual ?
i'd really appreciate it if you can send me one copy
i can't stand crawling in the man pages all night long...

btw
 only root can run gdm on my suse9.0 and when i switch
to root, the command can not be found. faint!

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by yondersta » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:11:56

i've found one link
GNU screen for beginners

the article compares the tool with a Swiss Army knife :)

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by yondersta » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:58:55

hey AC
i've just tried out this screen tool
really amazing! :)

thanks a lot!

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:38:53

<snip>

Quote:

> god screen is really daunting
> 1000 lines man pages!
> do you have a cookbook style manual ?
> i'd really appreciate it if you can send me one copy
> i can't stand crawling in the man pages all night long...

You really can't learn most apps from a man page.

Like I said, get the info page (google it if it wasn't installed
with screen...)

I'll send you a little tutorial and some links. You probably should
post questions here, though, so others can benefit and the real
screen experts can participate if they choose.

Quote:

> btw
>  only root can run gdm on my suse9.0 and when i switch
> to root, the command can not be found. faint!

Try "gpm" instead :-)

I don't use gpm, so won't be of much help to you there.

Oh jeesh. Yahoo. I don't accept mail that comes with ads. It's
spam. So I'll send you the stuff but you can't mail me until
you get a better provider: You'd just get an auto-response
advising you to do that and your mail would be dumped silently.

AC

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:38:54

Quote:

> i've found one link
> GNU screen for beginners

> the article compares the tool with a Swiss Army knife :)

It's an amazing tool -------------->

POST the URL !!!!!!

SCREEN Pages:
# http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/screen/
#
# Commands List (from the manual to screen-3.7.6):
# http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/screen/commands.txt
#
# MailingList:
# http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/gnu-screen/
#

AC

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by yondersta » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:18:26

sorry :)
it's here
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935

btw
it does have one disadvantage: some keystroke conflicts
but that's zero compared with its virtues :)

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:46:40

Quote:

> sorry :)
> it's here
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935

> btw
> it does have one disadvantage: some keystroke conflicts
> but that's zero compared with its virtues :)

(edit it)

Yeh. That's nice.

Thanks,

AC

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:24:56

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by yondersta » Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:04:53

thanks for the tip
i've just turned it on
quite a phenomenon for me i have to say

but now what can i do with a mouse in the console ?
they didn't mention the function of copy/paste in the man page
and i can't play quake under console :p

how to enable mouse in text-mode ?

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:05:01

1. HELP!: MOUSE IN TEXT-MODE!

I'm a complete Linux-newbee and I can't figure out how to use the mouse
in text-mode with applications
such as MidnightCommander and RHIDE...
The mouse works fine with pulldown-menus when I run in XTerm....
But in text-only mode when I try starting
"gpm -t PS/2" or the "gpm start" thing in one of the /etc/ -sub-dirs, I
do get the mouse-cursor, and I am able to mark areas on the screen
etc... but that doesn't help me very much, since the text-applications
don't seem to recognice it, as no buttons, pull-downmenus or anything
works with the mouse...

I don't feel comfortable running my text-mode-applications under XTerm,
so I'd be greatfull if anyone could help me....
..and... I'm running RedHat 6.0 if that's important...

- L.F.M.

2. Pine 8029R Driver deparately wanted

3. RH6.0: mouse problem in text mode

4. no mouse under X

5. Gigabyte GA-6BXDS - onboard 7895

6. Mouse problems (text mode & X-Windows)

7. Can't get mouse pointer in text mode

8. PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

9. RH6.0 - mouse problem in text mode

10. RH6.0: mouse problem in text mode

11. Mouse jumps in text mode, Why?