Error: permission denied on RCP

Post by ki » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 Hello,  I was hoping someone could help with this RCP problem we are having:

 We have 2 machines:
 fame1
 risk1

 We have 2 users:
 kismail
 sfrates

 We would like to do a remote-copy (rcp) from fame1 to risk1.  We login as user
 "kismail" on fame1 and execute:

 rcp -p fame1:/export/home/sfrates/testfile.txt .

 and the result is:

 permission denied

 If we execute:  rlogin -l sfrates fame1
 This works.

 If we execute: rsh -l sfrates fame1
 This works.

 rsh -l sfrates fame1 date
 Wed Oct 22 13:14:23 EDT 1997
 (this works too)

 However, if we execute: rcp -p fame1:/export/home/sfrates/testfile .
 we get: permission denied

 Or, if we try
 What we have tried:
 -------------------

 We checked the permissions on the file we are trying to copy - it is 755, which is okay.
 We checked the /etc/hosts file on both fame1 and risk1 and they both have the correct IP numbers.
 We tried to use the FQDN (full domain name) instead of just an alias.
 Uncommenting out /etc/resolv.conf so the system doesn't use DNS

 None work.  Can someone please suggest what do try?

 Thanks in advance.

 Cheers!

 Kari  I.

 Ontario Teachers Pension Board

[...]

Post by Pete » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Your problem is that when you execute rcp, fame1 is looking for the user
kismail which does not exist or does not allow you access. Thy the
following:

I know this works under SCO but I'm not sure about other brands.

1. RCP Error, permission denied?

I'm curious what I am missing, I added both of the unix boxes to
/etc/hosts.equiv and it still says permission denied.  Also when I
try to log in as root it tells me I can not log in from the outside..
Where is that configured??

I did try to do the rcp as a normal user as well but that still gave
me permission denied... I thought it might have something to do with
.rhosts also so I added that and still to no avail...(ver 4.3.1)
thanks,
Adam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. knews 0.9.3 -- a threaded newsreader for X

3. Error: permission denied on RCP

4. Sony CDU55S CD-ROM

5. Solaris 2.4 x86 & canon bj200e

6. rcp permission denied message

7. How to mount as non-root?

8. RCP,RLOGIN rmcd: socket: Permission denied

9. rcp gives "Permission Denied"???

10. rcp says Permission Denied

11. rcp gives permission denied!!!

12. rcp & Permission denied