turn off "<" horizontal command line scrolling with ksh/bash?

turn off "<" horizontal command line scrolling with ksh/bash?

Post by troycampbells.. » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:46:54

I don't know if this is a bash or ksh problem as I've seen it in both
shells but for whatever
reason when I enter a long command I get "<" at the beginning of the
line with the command
shifted off to the left instead of the characters wrapping around to
the next line.  While this
is cool to have this editing feature, in my case I would prefer it not
to do that.  Is there a
way to turn line wrapping on?

Thanks
Troy

Post by troycampbells.. » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:49:34

> I don't know if this is a bash or ksh problem as I've seen it in both
> shells but for whatever
> reason when I enter a long command I get "<" at the beginning of the
> line with the command
> shifted off to the left instead of the characters wrapping around to
> the next line.  While this
> is cool to have this editing feature, in my case I would prefer it not
> to do that.  Is there a
> way to turn line wrapping on?

> Thanks
> Troy

Update...  I tried using:

   set horizontal-scroll-mode off

in /etc/inputrc and in the shell itself but it's ignoring this...?