Sun OS Environment/Utilities Question

Post by <dphilli.. » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:54:40

Hi,
    I just got a new job, and I've gone from HP-UX 10.2 - 11.1 O/S to a Sun
5.8 O/S.  One of the simple environmental differences I've found is that
then typing in a really long file name or dir name, in HPUX, I used to be
able to hit the escape key twice, and the shell would finish the name of the
file for me, if the first few letters of it were unique.  This functionality
doesn't appear to be present on the Solaris boxs I've been on.  I always
took this functionality for granted, but never knew what made it possible.
First off, is this something that can be done on a Solaris machine?  If so,
how would I set this up?
    One other thing, I lived and died by using ied, in conjunction with
isql, to be able to recall dataserver commands from a history, when within
the dataserver.  Again, this is something I took for granted.  ied does not
appear to be in my path, and I wasn't able to find any man pages on it on
the Sun boxes.  Any info on this, or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Post by bsh » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:07:46

>     I just got a new job, and I've gone from HP-UX 10.2 - 11.1 O/S to a Sun
> 5.8 O/S.  One of the simple environmental differences I've found is that
> then typing in a really long file name or dir name, in HPUX, I used to be
> able to hit the escape key twice, and the shell would finish the name of the
> file for me, if the first few letters of it were unique.  This functionality
> doesn't appear to be present on the Solaris boxs I've been on.  I always
> took this functionality for granted, but never knew what made it possible.
> First off, is this something that can be done on a Solaris machine?  If so,
> how would I set this up?

This question is a bit hard to answer insofar as each version of
ksh(1) has not only different functionality provided to accomplish
this, but also the "right way" and the "kludge method" to do so.
Your version of Solaris has both ksh88 and ksh93 (dtksh(1)).

In ksh88, "set -o vi" allows ESC-* and ESC-\ to do filename generation
and completion. More functionality is available when using ksh93, and
its
KEYBD trap allow user-customizeable behavior. See:

http://www.research.att.com/~dgk/ksh/fun/keybind
http://www.research.att.com/~dgk/ksh/fun/vi_keybind # vi binding
http://www.research.att.com/~dgk/ksh/fun/emacs_keybind # emacs bindings

(Your TAB keybinding for filename-line completion would be defined by:
keybind $'\t' $'\E\E')

For particularly good .profile examples with an undocumented kludge to
allow arrowkey bindings (and others) IN KSH88 ONLY, see:

http://web.unixlabplus.com:1221/unix-prog/common.profile/common.profile
http://www.dotfiles.com/files/5/197_.kshrc
http://www.dotfiles.com/files/5/373_kshrc

Read the corresponding manpages and do a C.U.S. search for more
information; for instance:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=30&scoring=d&hl=en&as_epq=&...

Quote:> One other thing, I lived and died by using ied, in conjunction with
> isql, to be able to recall dataserver commands from a history, when within
> the dataserver.  Again, this is something I took for granted.  ied does not
> appear to be in my path, and I wasn't able to find any man pages on it on
> the Sun boxes.
> Any info on this, or am I out of luck?

Are you talking about ie(1), the command line editor giving
vi(1)- & emacs(1)-style editting? Is:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60105/ied.1.html
("... AUTHOR: ied was developed by HP.")

... the same app as:

http://public.research.att.com/~gsf/man/man1/ie.html

If so, then: not at all! ie(1) is available for free download
through the AST library of software tools in source and
binary form for Solaris via kornshell.com at:

http://public.research.att.com/~gsf/download/

IIRC, ie(1) is in the INIT/ast-ast, INIT/ast-ksh, INIT/ast-open,
INIT/ast-base-locale, and INIT/ast-ksh-locale packages.

Be sure to read the FAQ#7 ("Why do 3d(1), ie(1) and
warp(1) fail on my system?") at:

http://public.research.att.com/~gsf/download/faq.software.html

BTW, have you seen -or- is that your query, at:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:89...

Quote:> Thanks in advance. Darren

Good luck. Brian

Post by Keith Thompso » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:36:26

>     I just got a new job, and I've gone from HP-UX 10.2 - 11.1 O/S to a Sun
> 5.8 O/S.  One of the simple environmental differences I've found is that
> then typing in a really long file name or dir name, in HPUX, I used to be
> able to hit the escape key twice, and the shell would finish the name of the
> file for me, if the first few letters of it were unique.  This functionality
> doesn't appear to be present on the Solaris boxs I've been on.  I always
> took this functionality for granted, but never knew what made it possible.
> First off, is this something that can be done on a Solaris machine?  If so,
> how would I set this up?

That's a function of your shell, not of the operating system.

Some versions of csh have a built-in variable called "filec"; setting
it enables filename completion.

tcsh, an extended version of csh, provides similar funtionality, but
it usually uses <tab> by default.

bash and ksh (both sh derivatives) also support filename completion.

If your default shell is csh, I recommend switching to tcsh.  In any
case, read the documentation for your shell for more details.

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.

Sun OS Environment/Utilities Question

Post by <dphilli.. » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:56:33

    Thank you all for your suggestions.  I'll be sure to check the shell I'm
using.

> >     I just got a new job, and I've gone from HP-UX 10.2 - 11.1 O/S to a
Sun
> > 5.8 O/S.  One of the simple environmental differences I've found is that
> > then typing in a really long file name or dir name, in HPUX, I used to
be
> > able to hit the escape key twice, and the shell would finish the name of
the
> > file for me, if the first few letters of it were unique.  This
functionality
> > doesn't appear to be present on the Solaris boxs I've been on.  I always
> > took this functionality for granted, but never knew what made it
possible.
> > First off, is this something that can be done on a Solaris machine?  If
so,
> > how would I set this up?

> That's a function of your shell, not of the operating system.

> Some versions of csh have a built-in variable called "filec"; setting
> it enables filename completion.

> tcsh, an extended version of csh, provides similar funtionality, but
> it usually uses <tab> by default.

> bash and ksh (both sh derivatives) also support filename completion.

> If your default shell is csh, I recommend switching to tcsh.  In any
> case, read the documentation for your shell for more details.

> --

<http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Quote:> San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>

<http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>

Quote:> We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.

1. Backup Utilities SUN/OS

We have a 630MP and dump is being used to backup our / /usr & /home partition
Does anyone have a better backup tool that verifies the integrity of the
tape and allows retrieval of individual files to be pulled of the tape.

I pull files off of the tape now with restore but this can be rather tedious.
Commercial backup utilities are out there in abundance but where, which one's
are worth the investment.

Any ideas or input:
Johnny F. Stewart  ~~where o' where have my little backup tapes gone, o' wher

2. Iwill P55TV doesn't work with Linux

3. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.misc

4. Woh can I start Telnet Service

5. Sun X Stations in non SUN environments

6. Net 2 machines together to install Linux

7. Which system is better--sun os or dec os?

8. Solved: Help with ip forwarding (TCP/IP 1.2.0, PPP):

9. diff b/w red hat linux OS 7.1 and Sun SOlaris OS 5.7

10. Which system is better--sun os or dec os?

11. Sun OS 4.0.1 question

12. Sun Fire V240 Sun OS 5.9

13. QUESTION: behavior of free() wrt returning memory to Sun OS