Arrow key assignments in tcsh

Post by Jason E Levi » Wed, 31 Aug 1994 04:18:49

Hello all; I've got a tcsh question.  More often than not, I use a
CommToolBox-compliant Macintoy application to access my UNIX site, and
the terminal tool that I use sends ANSI-standard cursor key sequences
when the up, down, left, and right arrow keys are pressed.  When I log
into my site and use EMACS, I get strange behavior, and I'd like to
know if anyone knows what to do about it... PLEASE.

I have two different terminal tools that I use to connect to my UNIX
site -- a VT102 tool and a VT320 tool.  My main concern when
connecting is the behavior of my arrow keys in EMACS, or even at the
command prompt (scrolling through command histories, for instance).
Here's the strange behavior -- if I set my TERM environment variable
to vt100, the arrow keys work perfectly in EMACS, et al.  If it is set
to vt102, they do NOT.  And if it is set to vt320, they do not work
either.  Going into my /etc/termcap file shows that the vt102 entry
describes a few terminal characteristics, and then has an entry making
all other characteristics equal to those of the vt100.  Same for the
vt320.  And in looking at those characteristics which are set
separately, none of them seem to affect what the arrow keys should do.

Thus, I have NO idea what's wrong.  I can provide the relevant
portions of my /etc/termcap file if anyone cares to see it, and other
than that, I would LOVE to figure this out.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jason
Jason Levine              +---------------------------+  GO SPURS GO SPURS GO S
1035 Park Avenue #2B      | Send electronic mail to:  |  PURS GO SPURS GO SPURS

212/843-2039              +---------------------------+  PURS GO SPURS GO SPURS

Post by James Wa » Wed, 31 Aug 1994 06:07:38

| Hello all; I've got a tcsh question.  More often than not, I use a
| CommToolBox-compliant Macintoy application to access my UNIX site, and
| the terminal tool that I use sends ANSI-standard cursor key sequences
| when the up, down, left, and right arrow keys are pressed.  When I log
| into my site and use EMACS, I get strange behavior, and I'd like to
| know if anyone knows what to do about it... PLEASE.

let's see, you're hot stuff with a Macintoy, but can't figure
out little emacs??  add this to your ~/.emacs:

(global-unset-key "\eO")
(define-key global-map "\eOA" 'previous-line)
(define-key global-map "\eOB" 'next-line)
(define-key global-map "\eOC" 'forward-char)
(define-key global-map "\eOD" 'backward-char)
(define-key global-map "\eOP" 'beginning-of-buffer)

    //\  //    ftp://ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/jwang/  [Macintosh AV site]
   //~~\//    http: Real Soon Now (tm)

1. hpterm arrow keys not working in tcsh

The arrow keys in my hpterm windows simply move the cursor around the
screen without passing any key sequences to the shell.

But, I am using the tcsh to get command line recall and editing that
needs to receive the arrow key sequences.

How do I configure the hpterm application to pass not interpret the
arrow keys but pass the sequences on to the tcsh.

David Bryant

2. Problems with RedHat 5.1, kisdn and Diva PCI

3. tcsh: up/down arrow keys

4. something that i don't understand

5. tcsh, emacs key bindings, SHIFT-arrow possible?

6. I need help with IP routing

7. Arrow keys in tcsh

8. Can't Release Disk Space

9. Mandrake 6.5 - tcsh & arrow keys

10. tcsh from command window - no arrow key action?

11. TCSH - arrow keys don't work

12. Arrow keys bindings in tcsh after using vi

13. Arrow keys in hpterm (tcsh 6.03)?