Java GUI for shell scripts

Post by Jim Cheesma » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

> Hi,

> I am looking for an easy way to build a graphical user interface on top
> of a ksh-script accepting command line arguments.
> I know I could achieve this using Tcl/Tck but does anyone has any
> experience with doing similar things in Java.

Check out the Runtime class, especially the bit about "exec()".  That
does what you want.  There's a section on this (with some examples) in
the Java Glossary.  Sadly, I've forgotten the link but a bit of
searching should turn it up without any problem.  (The owner's name is
Roedy Green - search for him on www.deja.com.  There's a link in his sig
file.)

HTH,
JimC

Java GUI for shell scripts

Post by PH » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am looking for an easy way to build a graphical user interface on top
of a ksh-script accepting command line arguments.
I know I could achieve this using Tcl/Tck but does anyone has any
experience with doing similar things in Java.

-Paul

Java GUI for shell scripts

Post by brian hile » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I am looking for an easy way to build a graphical user interface on top
> of a ksh-script accepting command line arguments.
> I know I could achieve this using Tcl/Tck but does anyone has any
> experience with doing similar things in Java.

I have the perfect solution!

Since you already have tcl/tk programming experience, I suggest you
look at

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jlk/tksh

[from the above URL...]

Tksh is an implementation of the Tcl C library written on top of
the library for the new KornShell (ksh93). Tksh emulates the behavior
of Tcl by using the API that is provided for extending ksh93, which
is similar to the Tcl library in that it allows access to variables,
functions and other state of the interpreter. This implementation
allows Tcl libraries such as Tk to run on top of ksh93 unchanged,
making it possible to use shell scripts in place of Tcl scripts.
ksh93 is well suited for use with Tk because it is backward compatible
with sh, making it both easy to learn and easy to extend existing
scripts to provide a graphical user interface. Tksh is not yet
another port of Tk to another language -- it allows Tcl scripts to
run without modification using the ksh93 internals.

For completeness, I should also mention dtksh, which implements
xwindows calls via the same dynamically linking facility (alluded
to above) in ksh93.

BTW, ksh93 is free (ahem... for non-commercial use) from
www.kornshell.com.  For commercial use, a reasonably priced supported
version of tksh is available through gltinc.com.

-Brian

Java GUI for shell scripts

Post by PH » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Say I don't have a legacy of Tcl scripts I need to run in ksh93 and I'm
free to start from scratch.
What strong argument is there to choose for "tksh" as "dtksh" comes for
free with CDE?

-Paul

Java GUI for shell scripts

Post by brian hile » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Say I don't have a legacy of Tcl scripts I need to run in ksh93 and I'm
> free to start from scratch.
> What strong argument is there to choose for "tksh" as "dtksh" comes for
> free with CDE?
> -Paul

None, in the great scheme of things.

Dtksh has the benefit of being a distribution tool with all the
support and archival store that this implies. Dtksh, you should
note, is based upon ksh93b -- which is not the latest version
(ksh93d).

I find programming XWindows calls even within a high-level language
like ksh a bit fussy and low level; Tcl/tk has always seemed to me
the appropriate front-end for graphical development.

If you are a reasonably experienced XWindows programmer, then I would in
your place find this a viable alternative.

-Brian

1. Toronto: Senior Java GUI Architect (up to 90K+options): Java w/GUI emphasis, OOA/OOD, Swing

This position involves writing commercial Internet shopping software
(and components) for resale (ecommerce) for a new 'dot com' software
startup which will soon apply to be traded on NASDAQ. A Smalltalk, Perl,
HTML, and OODB application server will be rewritten using a new
architecture. Existing Smalltalk GUI screens will need to be rewritten
as Java applets. New domain object edit GUIs will need to be designed
and developed, as well as other product enhancements. Significant new
enhancements will be analyzed, designed and developed. Many follow up
R&D projects and products are in the works, including those involving
intelligent agents. The ideal candidate will have:

   * at least 2 years Java experience (Smalltalk experience a bonus)
     with an emphasis in GUI work including Swing experience, and an
     understanding of Human Factors
   * at least 5 years of software development experience, preferably
     with a software vendor and/or a consulting company using OOA/OOD
     methodology
   * HTML/CGI experience, Perl a bonus
   * bachelor degree in Computing or equivalent

This Internet startup is well funded to turn an already working
prototype into a commercial product to humanize the Internet shopping
experience. Get in on the ground floor of this Internet startup and join
a team of very experienced software professionals. Our corporate culture
is centered on providing a fun workplace where engineers can grow both
technically and financially. Good salary plus excellent stock options
will enable the successful candidate to receive total compensation above
Toronto norms. Principals only submit resumes to

recruiter.)

2. Patch to make MSS work on PSS sndcards

3. Toronto: Senior Java GUI Eng. (up to 90K+options): Java w/GUI emphasis, OOA/OOD, Swing

4. aln-101 details

6. PPP Server problem

7. Java GUI to execute Unix scripts?

8. ServletExec 2.0 Released!

9. GUI for shell scripting

10. anyone use Clix (X desktop) or Finesse (gui for shell scripts)?

11. GUI access for shell scripts: the gtk-server

12. handling SIGINT in shell scripts when executing another shell script.

13. Q: How can I have a shell script call another shell script...