cannot get all verbose ksh output into a log file

cannot get all verbose ksh output into a log file

Post by terry433.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:40:51

I have several nested ksh scripts and using '-x' to maximize output.
But when I execute these and pipe output to log (using '>' or tee) I am
only getting a portion of the output...what is the exact syntax to have
output on-screen PLUS piped to log file :-
$ scriptname |tee logfile 2>&1
or
      $ scriptname > logfile 2>&1 |tee

Post by Rakesh Sharm » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:08:42

> I have several nested ksh scripts and using '-x' to maximize output.
> But when I execute these and pipe output to log (using '>' or tee) I
am
> only getting a portion of the output...what is the exact syntax to
have
> output on-screen PLUS piped to log file :-
> $ scriptname |tee logfile 2>&1
> or
>       $ scriptname > logfile 2>&1 |tee

# to see both output and stderr on screen and also store both in file
scriptname 2>&1 | tee logfile

1. File Security in ksh that even verbose mode cannot display?

We are converting from MVS to Unix and will be utilizing a product to transmit files
between the two systems (Xcom).  One requirement of Xcom is that a Userid and
Password are required to transmit.

We are running scripts to replace our MVS procs, so I've created one to handle the
transfer.  My problem is that we need a way to secure a file that will hold the
Userid and Password.  I can remove the read-write access to the file, but need to
leave the execute access for other users to run the script.  In doing so, ksh can
expose the variables being set within the script with the "-v" verbose option.

Is there any way to fully protect this file so that even the verbose mode will not
display the contents?

2. 2.1-960627 snapshot

3. Verbose output vs. discarding output

4. long usernames?

5. Perl script log file output has duplicate copies of output lines

6. Navigator 3.01

7. Outputting to a log file and translating output

8. Sonnet Tempo Ultra ATA66. I can't get it to work.

9. verbose last output?

10. natd in verbose mode: strange output

11. How do I got more verbose output with sendmail?

12. MPICH to display verbose SSH output

13. kbuild: Smart notation for non-verbose output