Case-insensitive filename completion in zsh?

Case-insensitive filename completion in zsh?

Post by Brian K. Boonst » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi there

I've scanned all the FAQ's, read all the docs, and looked at the tea
leaves.  Still, I am mystified.  Is it possible to cause zsh to
complete filenames in a case-insensitive manner?  I have in mind
something my buddy Ben does in tcsh - namely if he has a file named
"Kepler" and he types "less kep<TAB>" at the prompt, the shell
completes to "less Kepler".

Brian
--

           "Candy's dandy but liquor is quicker"   - Nash

1. Case-insensitive filenames

Hello,

We are Swaziland's Internet Service Provider. We are about to allow
our customers to update their Web pages themselves, using FTP. People
would connect to a (not anonymous) FTP server, mess about with their
files, and so modify their Web pages and images.

I expect that many people will have trouble with the Unix filenames,
which are case-sensitive. Refer to a file in lowercase inside your
web-page, but actually have the file in uppercase in the FTP area.

I could just warn people about this, but it would be more convenient
if Apache could serve Web-pages in a case-insensitive way. I was
thinking of an option (either per-directory or server wide) that
enables case-insensitive filename matching.

Has somebody done this already?  Would it be easy to do?  Would there
be any other problems introduced by case-insensitiveness?

--

Postmaster and systems administrator, UUNET Internet Africa (Swaziland)
Find me in the Swaziland Email Directory: http://www.directory.sz/email

2. Packet content

3. case-insensitive file system with Apache being case-sensitive.

4. problem of little indian to big indian code

5. case insensitive tab completion in bash?

6. scientific graphics software?

7. Change Upper case filename to lower case filename

8. How does /dev/[n]ht0 work?

9. zsh filename completion

10. Case-insensitive matching in bash - Again

11. how to make regexp case-insensitive using sed

12. Apache: Case-Insensitive <Location>?

13. How to perform a case-insensitive search in VI?