how to increase the line buffer in ksh

Post by Te-Cheng She » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:06:37

Hello
    I want to increase the "line buffer", not command history buffer.
I mean when compiler generates 200 lines of warning message and I will
be able to trace back to see what printed out in the first few lines.

Thanks

STC

Post by fv » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:37:46

>    I want to increase the "line buffer", not command history buffer.
>I mean when compiler generates 200 lines of warning message and I will
>be able to trace back to see what printed out in the first few lines.

That's a terminal issue, not a shell issue. You could try piping the
output through 'more' or 'less' though.

--
Frank v Waveren                                      Fingerprint: 0EDB 8787

how to increase the line buffer in ksh

Post by Bit Twist » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:14:34

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:06:37 -0700, Te-Cheng Shen

>Hello
>    I want to increase the "line buffer", not command history buffer.
>I mean when compiler generates 200 lines of warning message and I will
>be able to trace back to see what printed out in the first few lines.

Helps to tell us what console, terminal you are using.

Well I use  xterm    to do my work and
man xterm       shows

      -sl number
               This option specifies the number of lines to  save
               that have been scrolled off the top of the screen.
               The default is 64.

Post by Te-Cheng She » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:24:00

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:06:37 -0700, Te-Cheng Shen

> >Hello
> >    I want to increase the "line buffer", not command history buffer.
> >I mean when compiler generates 200 lines of warning message and I will
> >be able to trace back to see what printed out in the first few lines.

> Helps to tell us what console, terminal you are using.

 I am using dtterm on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Te-Cheng She » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:33:20

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:06:37 -0700, Te-Cheng Shen

> >Hello
> >    I want to increase the "line buffer", not command history buffer.
> >I mean when compiler generates 200 lines of warning message and I will
> >be able to trace back to see what printed out in the first few lines.

> Helps to tell us what console, terminal you are using.

 I am using dtterm on HP-UX 10.20.  I checked the man page and it is the
same as an xterm using -sl #number.
But, how to pass a parameter to a terminal?  Sorry, I know how to pass
parameters to shells but no ideas no how to pass parameters to a terminal.

Thanks again

TCS

Post by Ed All » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:01:03

>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:06:37 -0700, Te-Cheng Shen

>> >Hello
>> >    I want to increase the "line buffer", not command history buffer.
>> >I mean when compiler generates 200 lines of warning message and I will
>> >be able to trace back to see what printed out in the first few lines.

>> Helps to tell us what console, terminal you are using.

> I am using dtterm on HP-UX 10.20.  I checked the man page and it is the
>same as an xterm using -sl #number.
>But, how to pass a parameter to a terminal?  Sorry, I know how to pass
>parameters to shells but no ideas no how to pass parameters to a terminal.

>Thanks again

>TCS

From the .Xdefaults file in my login directory:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
! xterm (and friends)

XTerm*highlightSelection:  true
! Uncomment this to use color for the bold attribute
XTerm*VT100*colorBDMode:  on
XTerm*VT100*colorBD:  blue
! Uncomment this to use color for underline attribute
XTerm.VT100*colorULMode:  on
XTerm.VT100*underLine:  off
XTerm*VT100*colorUL:  magenta
! Uncomment this to display the scrollbar
XTerm*scrollBar:  true

! This resource specifies whether or not to ignore the 'alternate screen'
! of applications such as vi.  When it is on, these applications will restore
! the contents of the screen when they are exited to what they were before
! they were started.  When it is off, the contents of vi will remain on the
! screen after the program is quit.
XTerm.VT100.titeInhibit:  true

! Uncomment this to turn off color mode in your xterms
!XTerm.VT100*colorMode:  off
XTerm.VT100*dynamicColors:  on

! Number of lines of scrollback to save
XTerm*saveLines:        500

xterm*reverseWrap:      true

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mt scrollback allows 500 lines.

You might want to delete some of these choices.  I like blue characters
to indicate 'bold' but not everyone does.

In your case copy these lines and change Xterm to Dtterm in the second
set.  Then logout and the next time you login you will get the larger
number of scrollback lines.
--
   Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.

how to increase the line buffer in ksh

Post by Dave Granti » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:48:47

TSC,
It's been awhile, and I'm not at an XWin or CDE right now, but I don't
see why you couldn't launch another dtterm from within your existing
dtterm...
Something like

$ dtterm -sl 500 &

Depending on things, you may have to export the appropriate DISPLAY
variable, but this should work with no problem.

dtterm might be under /usr/vue/bin or somesuch (don't remember for
HP)...

Good luck!
Dave
----------

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:33:20 -0700, Te-Cheng Shen

> > On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:06:37 -0700, Te-Cheng Shen

> > >Hello
> > >    I want to increase the "line buffer", not command history buffer.
> > >I mean when compiler generates 200 lines of warning message and I will
> > >be able to trace back to see what printed out in the first few lines.

> > Helps to tell us what console, terminal you are using.

>  I am using dtterm on HP-UX 10.20.  I checked the man page and it is the
> same as an xterm using -sl #number.
> But, how to pass a parameter to a terminal?  Sorry, I know how to pass
> parameters to shells but no ideas no how to pass parameters to a terminal.

> Thanks again

> TCS

Dave

+---------------------+---------------+

+---------------------+---------------+

1. increase ksh command line length?

Hello,

I'm a first time poster, so I will not be surprised if I step on toes.
Sorry if they are yours, but feel free to set me straight.

Question1: what limits the length of characters that one can type into a
ksh command line?

Related: Anything I can (as a non-root sgi user) do to increase it?

Noted: tcsh gives much more length, but I'm afraid to change since I
expect most of my work related scripts require ksh. If this is my only
option, and you have happily switched from ksh to tcsh, what did you
find as pro's and cons?

Thanks folks,
Craig Wasielewski

2. KEYTABLES

3. OS5: Increased buffer cache size -> not enough low buffers?

4. Set my clock my ARP reqs

5. Line buffer and Full buffer

6. Trident 9680 drivers

8. !Your Virtual Office can do everything

9. Is there a way to step thru ksh scripts line by line ?

10. ksh script --reading file line by line?

11. In Ksh/awk/sed how can i read specific line (like line 45 in tmp.txt)

12. increase window buffer size.

13. Increase default upper bound of socket buffer size(UDP)