how find out what shell i am currently on

how find out what shell i am currently on

Post by Mahurshi Akill » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 03:31:31

is there a way to find out what shell i am currently on (other than
using "top" and looking up)

Mahurshi Akilla

Post by Ed Morto » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 03:40:05

> is there a way to find out what shell i am currently on (other than
> using "top" and looking up)

> Mahurshi Akilla

echo "$SHELL"

        Ed.

how find out what shell i am currently on

Post by Bill Marcu » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 04:11:35

On 16 Mar 2006 10:31:31 -0800, Mahurshi Akilla

> is there a way to find out what shell i am currently on (other than
> using "top" and looking up)

> Mahurshi Akilla

This question has been discussed many times.  I suggest you use Google
to do what it does best.  However, instead of top, try "ps $$".

--
BOFH excuse #355:

Boredom in the Kernel.

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 06:34:44

> > is there a way to find out what shell i am currently on (other than
> > using "top" and looking up)

> > Mahurshi Akilla

> echo "$SHELL"

Wrong.  That tells you your default shell, not your current shell.

barmar $ ps -p $$
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
 1587  p1  Ss     0:00.06 /bin/bash --noediting -i
barmar $ ksh
$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
$ ps -p $$
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
 2244  p1  S      0:00.04 ksh
$

--

Arlington, MA

Post by Michael Paol » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:57:35

> is there a way to find out what shell i am currently on (other than
> using "top" and looking up)

GIYF, excellent answers abound, e.g.:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.shell/msg/33f3e64a6c762cf1?d...

how find out what shell i am currently on

Post by Christopher W Aike » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:23:31

Quote:>is there a way to find out what shell i am currently on (other than
>using "top" and looking up)

>Mahurshi Akilla

ps $$
echo $0