Input limitation to shells

Post by Yohanes Santos » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 10:03:54

Here is a FAQ:

Max length of each argument:
tcsh: 10235 chars (tcsh ver.6.10.00)
bash/ksh: around 130,000 chars

Max length of all arguments:
tcsh: not tested.
bash/ksh: around 200,000 chars

Max number of arguments:
tcsh/bash/ksh: either around 23000 or around 32700 args,
depending how you invoke it (I'm not sure why sometimes
it's 23000, and other times 32700).

Point is, there are limitations. To get around this, use xargs.

YS.

Input limitation to shells

Post by John DuBo » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:50:11

Quote:>Here is a FAQ:

>Max length of each argument:
>tcsh: 10235 chars (tcsh ver.6.10.00)
>bash/ksh: around 130,000 chars

>Max length of all arguments:
>tcsh: not tested.
>bash/ksh: around 200,000 chars

>Max number of arguments:
>tcsh/bash/ksh: either around 23000 or around 32700 args,
>depending how you invoke it (I'm not sure why sometimes
>it's 23000, and other times 32700).

In the case of ksh/bash, at least, you are seeing limits specific to your
system, not the shell.

        John
--

1. Using pax: Shell input line limitation?

I have a tar archive on tape containing about 1000 files with absolute
pathnames

I want to extract 70 files from this archive and move each file to a totally
different location and name.

'pax' seems to be suited for this task. I guess I would need something like

pax -r -f myfile.tar -s,old1,new1,p -s,old2,new2,p ... -s,old70,new70,p
old1 old2 old3 ... old70

where 'new1' is the completely different path name I want 'old1' to be
written to.

This would result in an awfully big command line.

Can the stock Solaris 8 /bin/ksh shell handle this?

Any other way to do what I want?

Thanks a lot

2. Configuring One Button Mouse

3. XTERM Input line limitation

4. Apache Web Server

5. How can i read the input file in C-shell ... like B-shell?

6. HELP: Kernel Panic

7. Shell limitations.

8. Internet Gateway

9. Is a limitation in restricted shell???

10. shell parameter list limitations

11. Korn Shell limitation/bug

12. bash/shell user process limitation (threads)

13. User input to C-Shell .login on SCO