good csh for NT?

Post by Ralph Finc » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Anybody know of a good csh for NT?  I tried tcsh.exe but it doesn't
seem to work properly with 'here' files.

BTW, is there any real difference between csh and tcsh?
--
Ralph Finch, Senior Engineer, W.R.      Tel.    916-653-8268
Delta Modeling Section                  Fax.    916-653-6077

1416 Ninth St, Sacramento, CA 95814     finger for PGP public key

good csh for NT?

Post by Robert Ega » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I can't recommend a good one, but I can warn about a bad one. It's
called the "Hamilton" C Shell and it is the major pits.

Robert Egan

> Anybody know of a good csh for NT?  I tried tcsh.exe but it doesn't
> seem to work properly with 'here' files.

> BTW, is there any real difference between csh and tcsh?
> --
> Ralph Finch, Senior Engineer, W.R.      Tel.    916-653-8268
> Delta Modeling Section                  Fax.    916-653-6077

> 1416 Ninth St, Sacramento, CA 95814     finger for PGP public key

--
To reply by mail, set nospam ==> regan

good csh for NT?

Post by Ralph Finc » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> You read the man pages, right?

Only just now ('cause I only just now got tcsh for Sun).

Quote:> P.S. Before you enter into this world of pain, you _have_ read
> ftp.perl.com/pub/perl/versus/csh-whynot.gz, of course....

Yeah...I read that a few years ago.  Well, we write csh scripts
several hundred lines long, no problem.
--
Ralph Finch, Senior Engineer, W.R.      Tel.    916-653-8268
Delta Modeling Section                  Fax.    916-653-6077

1416 Ninth St, Sacramento, CA 95814     finger for PGP public key

good csh for NT?

Post by Douglas A. Hamilto » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi, Roger.  I am sorry you were disappointed or perhaps frustrated with my
product.  I don't recall ever receiving any mail from you and you don't
give your reasons here so I have no way of knowing what problems you've
encountered.  I would like to assure you that my customers are the most
important people in the world to me, right after my wife and kids.  You put
food on my table and shoes on my kids' feet.  I hope you will trust that if
you can tell me what problems or shortcomings you encountered, that I want
to do whatever I can to make it right, including, if that's the best
answer, refunding your money.

Hamilton C shell does comes with unlimited support and free updates.  If
you find a bug, I will fix it.  No time limit, no charge, no excuses.  My
attitude is you are paying for working software, not non-working software.
If you encounter a bug you classify as serious (and I trust you to make the
call on its severity), I can usually get it fixed in a day or two.  If you
need help, we'll spend whatever time it takes.  If, in order to answer your
question, someone has to read the code, well, I wrote it and I will read
it.  Updates are always free via my website.  I have customers who've been
with me 8 or 9 years still getting free updates.  When I release a new
build, typically every 6 to 8 weeks, it is always totally up-to-date
against all reported or known bugs.  This is software, so naturally we have
to expect there may be bugs yet to be discovered, but I assure you I never
issue a new build with bugs I knew about but decided to ignore.

The product also comes with an unconditional satisfaction guarantee.  I
wouldn't have it any other way.  I do recognize that different people will
come to different conclusions about whether _any_ particular product really
suits their needs.  After all, there are a lot design and architectural
decisions that have to get made in any non-trivial product and reasonable
men will disagree on the best choices. If this isn't working for you, the
last thing I want is for you or anyone ever to feel "trapped."  Hamilton C
shell can be returned for any reason or even for no reason at all.  The
product comes, nominally, with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee but, to be
honest, I've never refused a return and even it was well past the 90 days,
I can't imagine I would ever would if someone appeared sincere in saying
they'd tried it but that it just wasn't working out.  (My return rate, by
the way, is about 0.1%.)

Please trust that I sincerely regret that you were dissatisfied and I truly
would like to make it right for you.  Please tell me what I can do.
--

Regards,

http://www.hamiltonlabs.com   Ph 978-440-8307   FAX 978-440-8308
Hamilton Laboratories, 21 Shadow Oak Drive, Sudbury, MA  01776-3165, USA

> I can't recommend a good one, but I can warn about a bad one. It's
> called the "Hamilton" C Shell and it is the major pits.

> > Anybody know of a good csh for NT?  I tried tcsh.exe but it doesn't
> > seem to work properly with 'here' files.

good csh for NT?

Post by Douglas A. Hamilto » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Thank you very much, James, for the very kind mention of my Hamilton C
shell.  But a minor correction, if I may.  The correct URL where you can
find more information and download the free demo version is:

        http://www.hamiltonlabs.com