Capturing Exit Status values in csh?

Post by Bill » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I want to capture and then act upon the exit status values in a csh
script.
For example, I want to do a pkgadd in a script and then return a message

based on the exit status.

I think I need to get the value for $?, but when I tried it I got an
error.

Any examples on this?

Bill

Capturing Exit Status values in csh?

Post by Frank San » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I want to capture and then act upon the exit status values in a csh
> script.
> For example, I want to do a pkgadd in a script and then return a message

> based on the exit status.

> I think I need to get the value for $?, but when I tried it I got an
> error.

     Use $status with csh.  $? is for sh shell.

---

1. capturing exit status for cmd when invoking 'xterm -e cmd'

I'm trying to capture the exit status from the command that is passed as an
argument to xterm.  Is there a way for the shell (ksh) to capture the exit
status of this grandchild process.  I'm using 'xterm -e command args' in a
script and I'm only able to get my hands around the return code from xterm
itself.

Much thanks

2. screen saver on login screen

3. Capturing exit statuses in bourne shell...

4. iptables and ident

5. How to capture exit status of multiple background processes?

6. X anti-advocacy

7. can a script return a value other than exit status

8. SMS and Linux

9. Get error when install open server: exit value 1 status:256

10. Bad value collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

11. csh exit(status)

12. exit status of pipeline in sh/csh

13. csh: How to read exit status of a script?