New update to scripts site for UNIX OS and browsers

New update to scripts site for UNIX OS and browsers

Post by jame » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:07:46

Hello,

http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk/scripts/index.htm

Just a quick note to all the people that requested an update to our site.

The site is now in two versions - hi-res and lo-res.  If you use a browser
such as Lynx or if you use a UNIX based OS, you may have problems using the
site.  If you now click on the lo-res lik, you will see everything as it
should be and you will have no problems using the excellent scripts on our
site.

http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk/scripts/index.htm

Many thanks

James Welch
Sandyx Systems
0161 610 7701
http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk
Visit our popular script archive at : http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk/scripts

New update to scripts site for UNIX OS and browsers

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:39:46

This is off-topic for this newsgroup, so this will be my last post on
the subject. Besides, the designer obviously hasn't a clue about HTML
and web design (which is presumably why he uses Front Page), so it's
beating a dead horse.

> http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk/scripts/index.htm

> Just a quick note to all the people that requested an update to our site.

> The site is now in two versions - hi-res and lo-res.  If you use a browser
> such as Lynx or if you use a UNIX based OS, you may have problems using the
> site.

Great! A site for Unix scripts, and not designed for Unix operating
systems! 8(

Quote:>  If you now click on the lo-res lik, you will see everything as it
> should be and you will have no problems using the excellent scripts on our
> site.

With properly written HTML there is no need for two version of the
site; Front Page, of course, doesn't produce good HTML.

The logic behind using a smaller text size for a hi-res screen than
for a lo-res one escapes me. The pixels on a hi-res screen are smaller
than on a lo-res screen (for the same size monitor), so you would want
a LARGER size, not smaller.

The so-called hi-res version looks better in Lynx (and Links) than the
lo-res version, though it would help if there were ALT strings with
the images.

Besides, all that needs doing is to remove the 126 instances of
'size="1"' attributes from the font tags, and the hi-res page is
(with ALT strings) quite acceptable on any browser (See
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/hires.html); a little cellpadding
helps, too.

    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2002, Chris F.A. Johnson

Post by Joe Halpi » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:21:36

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Just a quick note to all the people that requested an update to our
> site.

> The site is now in two versions - hi-res and lo-res.  If you use a
> browser such as Lynx or if you use a UNIX based OS, you may have
> problems using the site.  If you now click on the lo-res lik, you
> will see everything as it should be and you will have no problems
> using the excellent scripts on our site.

I still don't understand why I need to enable JavaScript to look at
plain text. I admit I'm not a web designer, but as a user I'd like to
be able to access stuff without having to worry about what JavaScript
might be telling whoever is listening.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I won't be using the site if I have to
enable JS to see plain text. It's *so* unnecessary that my *
theory mode kicks in and has to know why someone would do something as
apparently pointless as that.

I also don't understand why two resolutions are needed to look at
plain text. Do Windows users setup their browsers such that the same
resolution won't work with Unix? I'm not trying to be cute here, I'm
really asking why two different versions of the site are needed to
show people plain text.

Why won't regular old HTML show people shell scripts?

Joe

New update to scripts site for UNIX OS and browsers

Post by Richard Howlet » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:18:41

<snip>

Quote:> Why won't regular old HTML show people shell scripts?

You have hit the nail smack in the middle of the head.
Regular old HTML will suffice for most pages on the Internet that are worth
viewing. Why people have to use this flashy stuff (JS, ActiveX etc etc) when
it just isn't necessary for showing what the Internet is very good at
showing.... information.

--
Richard Howlett

1. New update to scripts site for UNIX OS and alternative browsers

Hello,

http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk/scripts/index.htm

Just a quick note to all the people that requested an update to our site.

The site is now in two versions - hi-res and lo-res.  If you use a browser
such as Lynx or if you use a UNIX based OS, you may have problems using the
site.  If you now click on the lo-res lik, you will see everything as it
should be and you will have no problems using the excellent scripts on our
site.

http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk/scripts/index.htm

Many thanks

James Welch
Sandyx Systems
0161 610 7701
http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk
Visit our popular script archive at : http://www.sandyxsystems.co.uk/scripts

2. Using SVGATextMode which RagePro

3. New update to Scripts website for UNIX OS' and browsers

4. Wake-on-LAN/PCI Linux support

5. Scripts. New option for UNIX browsers - No Javascript.

6. Creative Vibra128 PCI sound card

7. Script Site and New UNIX Discussion Forum

8. xterm command execution

9. Excellent new unix script site - a must see !!

10. New Site: Unix hacking / phreaking related site.

11. From netscape browser - resolve name of local site yahoo.com to local site on apache

12. Pointers for evaluating hardware/OS for new Net site?

13. Linux Tips & Tricks page updated again, but still need more info ON NEW SITE