'..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

'..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

Post by newc » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have a couple things work perfectly in openwin environment but don't
work in CDE 1.0. The first thing is that I put .. in the cdpath (I use
csh). The other is that I have an alias h is 'history \!* | tail -20' ,
while alias h still works OK in CDE 1.0, h > saved_file dosn't work any
more. I get an error message says ambiguous redirection. Since I can't
change CDE back to openwin, I was wondering someone can tell me why
those two things don't work in CDE 1.0 and what is the cure for that?
thanks.

Xixi

'..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

Post by Peter Samuels » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a couple things work perfectly in openwin environment but
> don't work in CDE 1.0. The first thing is that I put .. in the cdpath
> (I use csh). The other is that I have an alias h is 'history \!* |
> tail -20' , while alias h still works OK in CDE 1.0, h > saved_file
> dosn't work any more. I get an error message says ambiguous
> redirection. Since I can't change CDE back to openwin, I was
> wondering someone can tell me why those two things don't work in CDE
> 1.0 and what is the cure for that?

We need more details, but I personally think you're barking up the
wrong tree.  Unless I miss my guess, what you're really talking about
is an operating system upgrade, say from Solaris 2.x to Solaris 2.6,
and that the differences you see are really caused by different
versions of `csh' shipped.

Solution: switch to a different shell.  For interactive use I love to
recommend bash, but if you don't want to have to learn Bourne syntax
and convert your startup scripts, you may wish to go with tcsh (a
vastly improved csh) -- though I don't know specifically what tcsh does
w/r/t the two issues you raised above.  Either shell is widely
available in source or binary form; see ftp.gnu.org:/pub/gnu/ and
ftp.astron.com:/pub/tcsh/ for the source distribution master sites.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

'..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

Post by newc » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks Peter. I think you are correct, because the same time they
switched to CDE they upgraded from solaris 2.5 to solaris 2.6. I didn't
think that could be solaris upgrading problem.
As far as tcsh, I'll check see if we have it installed. I'm not allowd
to install anything and I don't even have internet access at office.

Again thank you.

Xixi

Post by Joseph Allen Dan » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > I have a couple things work perfectly in openwin environment but
> > don't work in CDE 1.0. The first thing is that I put .. in the cdpath
> > (I use csh). The other is that I have an alias h is 'history \!* |
> > tail -20' , while alias h still works OK in CDE 1.0, h > saved_file
> > dosn't work any more. I get an error message says ambiguous
> > redirection. Since I can't change CDE back to openwin, I was
> > wondering someone can tell me why those two things don't work in CDE
> > 1.0 and what is the cure for that?

another thing to consider is that CDE doesn't always run your normal
shell startup files.  that is, CDE doesn't start shells as login
shells, which might cause them to behave differently.  you can test
this by putting something like 'FOO=bar' in your .profile and seeing
if $FOO is set in one of your shells.

if not, look for a file called .dtprofile in your home directory.
there's a line near the end that can be edited to source your .profile
file.

--

joe

'..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

Post by newc » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for your response. I use csh and I don't put things in
.login file, I have every thing in .cshrc. I'll try to remember to do a
testing next week when I get into office.

Xixi

says...

>> > I have a couple things work perfectly in openwin environment but
>> > don't work in CDE 1.0. The first thing is that I put .. in the
cdpat
>> > (I use csh). The other is that I have an alias h is 'history \!* |
>> > tail -20' , while alias h still works OK in CDE 1.0, h > saved_file
>> > dosn't work any more. I get an error message says ambiguous
>> > redirection. Since I can't change CDE back to openwin, I was
>> > wondering someone can tell me why those two things don't work in
CDE
>> > 1.0 and what is the cure for that?

>another thing to consider is that CDE doesn't always run your normal
>shell startup files.  that is, CDE doesn't start shells as login
>shells, which might cause them to behave differently.  you can test
>this by putting something like 'FOO=bar' in your .profile and seeing
>if $FOO is set in one of your shells.

>if not, look for a file called .dtprofile in your home directory.
>there's a line near the end that can be edited to source your .profile
>file.

>--

>joe

1. how do 'plug-ins' work?

I've got a little project I'm working on that could benifit from being able to
drop in third-party extensions as plug-ins.  I understand the plug-in theory,
more or less, but I'm fuzzy on the implementation details.  I was hoping someone
could help me out a bit.

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), if I create a function
library and compile it as a static object then I have to compile the final app
along with that object.  If I make my library a shared object than I just have to
link against it at compile time and it's included at run-time (I've never made
any of my own so's - do you have to do anything different than what you'd do for
a static object?).

But what if I want to create a library that I can just drop into an app without
having to recompile against it (such as a netscape-style plug-in)?  Obviously
there has to be some agreed-upon api so the app knows what entry points exist in
the library and the library knows what functions the app exposes, but how does
the app actually 'load' the library while it's running?

I noticed some functions for loading dynamic modules in a glib reference and this
seems like it would be a place to start, but once I've loaded the module is there
anything special I have to do to call it's functions or do they just magically
become available?  This is the part where I'm getting lost...

If anyone can point me to a good online resource for this or drop me a basic
explanation, I'd be grateful.  I've looked over netscape's plug-in docs but that
mostly concentrates on the api side of things.  I spent some time digging through
the gimp source but gimp plug-ins appear to run as a separate process which isn't
really the behavior I'm after (I could probably still do what I want that way,
but I need to get a handle on this whole library thing anyway ;).

thanks in advance,

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
|  Ethan VonderWeid                          IT Technical Operations  |

|  (650) 336-0534 (internal x60534)              This space for rent  |
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

2. Multiple screens

3. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

4. : Wireless Extensions v15

6. Graphics Card for a Linux PC

7. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

8. Cannot configure Sound Card, RH9, New Box

9. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

10. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

11. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

12. Can't get dial-ins, anyone?