Plans for Tcl/Tk8.4 version of tksh (ksh93 + Tcl/Tk)?

Plans for Tcl/Tk8.4 version of tksh (ksh93 + Tcl/Tk)?

Post by Conrad Schneike » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 04:33:26

#
# > Does anyone have any experience using tksh? If so, what were your
main
# > reasons for using tksh rather than just Tcl/Tk?
# >
# > It seems like an interesting idea, but quick google searches on
# > newsgroups and web pages don't seem to show much discussion of it
for
# > the last year or so.
# >
# > Now that ksh has been open-sourced (http://www.kornshell.com/), does
# > anyone have plans to produce a Tcl/Tk8.4 version? (The current
source
# > looks like it uses Tcl/Tk7.6.)
#
# I was forwarded your posting to comp.lang.tcl.
#
# After version 7.6 came out, I stopped working on tksh (at that
# point, tcl was changing so quickly I got frustrated trying to
# keeping up).  However, now that ksh and tksh are open-source, there
# seems to be renewed interest.  I recently started working at AT&T so
# I have a little extra time to work on it.  I am going to look at 8.4
# and see how much work would be required.  If it's a lot, I would
# need contributions from others to complete it.

FYI. I'm posting this slighly reformatted reply that I received from
Jeff Korn with his permission. Thanks Jeff.

--
Conrad Schneiker

1. TK/tcl gurus: wrong version of Tk loaded (3.6): need 4.x?

Hi:

I'm trying to run tkHTML 2.3, and when it loads, it gives an error:

Tcl_AppInit failed: wrong version of Tk loaded (3.6): need 4.x

According to glint (I've installed RH 3.0.3), I've got tcl version
7.4-5 and tk version 4.0-5.  Why does tkHTML seem to think my tk is
version 3.6 and not 4.0?

I'm not a tk/tcl guru nor do I play one on TV.  So if anyone out there
is, please let me know what I can do.  After it (tkHTML) loads, none
of the menus work, it's basically broken, and I get error messages like:

tkerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: invalid command name "tk_butEnter"
    Error in tkerror: unknown option "-wraplength"
tkerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: invalid command name "tk_butLeave"
    Error in tkerror: unknown option "-wraplength"
etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mark

Committee on Social Thought, University of Chicago

2. linux and two routers

3. Linux Tcl/Tk diffs in netcom.com: ~ftp/pub/yggdrasil/misc/tcl-diffs

4. passthru2 open -these

5. Expect/Tcl Problem - "scripts expect Tcl version..."

6. X386, cant find server

7. tcl/tk latest version with shared libraries on sparc/sunos 4.1.3_U1

8. Samba is driving me nuts!

9. HELP: Linux binaries of Tcl/Tk version 7.6/8.0

10. Problems with tcl/tk8.0 & FileRunner 2.4

11. modulecmd that works with tcl-tk8.0

12. tcl/tk8.3.0 configuration

13. Problem With TCL 8.0 (init.tcl)