AIX, tr etc, Quiet device full failures

Post by Walter Brisco » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I write shell scripts, mainly to run with AIX 3.2.5.
I have started testing them when writing to a full filesystem.

echo and sed give an error message; tr, head, and tail do not.
tr does not on 4.1.4.

I would appreciate any collected information on the subject.

I have not seen the subject mentioned. Should returning zero in such a
situation be considered a bug or a feature? I consider it unhelpful!

My access to IBM support is arterioscl*!

For the sake of irrelevant completeness, I usually run ksh88.
--
Walter Briscoe

1. Quiet Low Power Homebuilt - Run Linux, be firewall / SMTP / NTP / WWW Proxy / fetchmail etc

My mother machine, a twin overclocked Celeron/BP6 combo, is too noisy and my
gf complains if I leave it on, for some reason, she doesn't find the mission
control sound effects reassuring.

Anyone been there?  Got the shirt?

I want a low power consumption (it will run all time), quiet, machine that
I'd build to spec, that will either connect to the Internet periodcally with
dialup, or be attached by cable modem.  Have thought about Linux Router
Project box, which wouldn't even need a hard disk, but then the relaying and
proxy would be screwed by power failures.

As it will run Linux, I don't need a super fast CPU, or large amounts of
RAM, I'd consider things like Transmeta Crusoe, mobile CPUs or underclocking
a Duron.  Graphics etc are not required.

The Crusoe is probably not mature enough, it should be a short project not
one that I need to struggle with.  Haven't a clue about mobile Mobo's and
case requirements.  Maybe an option is to use one of my trusty Celeron
300a's and actually run them at Intel clock speed with FSB 66MHz, though it
seems somewhat sacrilegous...  Then I'd just need some 'stealth' fans, and
could treat myself to a A7V, or KT7 plus Tbird, for the mother system.

Appreciate any suggestions, especially if you Cc: via email incase I miss
the thread.

Rob

2. Help with TVCapture98 audio

3. 2.1.115 IDE/TR-4 tar failures

4. pppd "Hangup (SIGHUP)" under heavy load

5. Can't ifconfig down and up IBM 16/4 TR cards without failure

6. Slackware doesn't work !

7. TR-4 tapes w/ TR-5 drive?

8. thread synchronization

9. S: TR-Printserver for AIX 3.2.5

10. Trace device number for IP Sec device for AIX 4.3.3

11. Help with AS400 to AIX file tape tr

12. How to set hme1 to full duplex in /etc/system