Getting a UNIX shell to work in a Win 95 / Windows 3.1 Enviroment

Getting a UNIX shell to work in a Win 95 / Windows 3.1 Enviroment

Post by Mark E. Pomp » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying this function for the first time and am not quite sure
where to start.  I wanted to see if someone had any information on
this.

I am creating a web page for the first time.  I have a home directory
on an ISP's server where the files are located.  Reading information
from another ISP's Web page I have discovered that I can use a UNIX
Shell to access that directory and perform functions in that
directory.  In this case the problem is that everytime I add a new
file to the directory other users do not have rights to see it.

Can anyone tell me where I can download a shell to be able to perform
that functions?  Also what command whould I use to grant rights to
other users to files in that directory.  Users have to be able to go
to the directory that the page is in (WWW.TSTONRAMP.COM/~MPOMPEY) and
view any images that I have placed in the directory.

Thanks for the help!

Post by Anand Kandasam » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am trying this function for the first time and am not quite sure
> where to start.  I wanted to see if someone had any information on
> this.

> I am creating a web page for the first time.  I have a home directory
> on an ISP's server where the files are located.  Reading information
> from another ISP's Web page I have discovered that I can use a UNIX
> Shell to access that directory and perform functions in that
> directory.  In this case the problem is that everytime I add a new
> file to the directory other users do not have rights to see it.

> Can anyone tell me where I can download a shell to be able to perform
> that functions?  Also what command whould I use to grant rights to
> other users to files in that directory.  Users have to be able to go
> to the directory that the page is in (WWW.TSTONRAMP.COM/~MPOMPEY) and
> view any images that I have placed in the directory.

> Thanks for the help!

Hello:

the comman you are looking for is "chmod" and here is
a quick syntax

chmod options name_of_file/directory_to_change_permission

options are formed as below

[user,group,others]+-[read,write,execute]

u can use the first character in each, of the above

for example if u want to grant a read permission
for your group and others to a file names file1
u do this

chmod go+r file1

and say u changed mind and want to takeaway read for others
u do

chmod o-r file1

u can use use multiple access level and user/group but only
one operand u can do this

chmod ugo+rwx file1

know more about unix file security first before
blindly giving permissions to all your files
do man chmod

goodluck

anand

Getting a UNIX shell to work in a Win 95 / Windows 3.1 Enviroment

Post by Tom Reg » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

The directory  MPOMPEY must be world readable.
i.e. chmod 755 MPOMPEY
If you can't do this have your ISP do it for you.

--
    o---------------------------------+--------------------------------o

    |  *ia Beach, Va. USA        | http:  //www.pinn.net/~tomr    |
    |  tel: (757) 495-0878            | work tel: (757) 499-9684       |
    o---------------------------------+--------------------------------o

1. Setting up a UNIX Shell in Win 95 & 3.1

[...]

2. Odd FTP and DNS problems.

3. COMMERCIAL: Authenticate Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 users off UNIX without Novell or NT

4. HARD X-windows programming question

5. Win 95, Win 3.1 and Linux sharing the same swap?

6. Can't install Rh 6.1 on 486 with 15gb drive and Promise Drivemax

7. Windows 3.1 (or 3.11), Solaris, Windows 95, and Wabi

8. ET4000/W32p device entry for X

9. Stuck getting PPP server to work with Win 95 client

10. looking for ntalk like apps for ||| Linux <---> Win 3.1(/95) |||

11. getting files from a windows 95 box onto an HP unix box

12. Running OSE 5.0 and Windows 95 (How To Print To Local Win 95 Printer)

13. Windows 3.1 and 95 to Apache grief