nawk, perl, tcl/tk, etc w/ diff. unices

Post by Erik Brye » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
        I'm going to buy a used PC and put a "unix" on it (linux or FreeBSD or
whatever... haven't decided yet). My question is, how close are the
ports of the sh, ksh, and csh (or perl, tcl/tk, and nawk, for that
matter) for Red Hat linux or NetBSD to those for the commercial OSs such
as Solaris 2? Are there any hardware/os combinations to avoid or seek
out? Thanks.

Erik Bryer

Post by Michael Pow » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

nawk, perl, tcl/tk, etc w/ diff. unices

Post by brian hil » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: AFAIK, sh and ksh are commercial products.  So is nawk.  You get gawk
: (GNU awk) with linux.  Tcl/Tk and perl are functionally equivalent on
: linux/unix.

... and to elaborate:

Even on FreeBSD--a _real_ UNIX, unlike Linux--those programs which
indeed are listed as "sh," "ksh," and "ksh" are indeed "bash,"
"pdksh," and "tcsh" respectively. The same is true with Linux, which
has _no_ code whose lineage is from the Berkeley distributions.

However, ksh93--which is not only the genuine thing, but the latest
version-- is precompiled for Linux available free for non-commercial
use via:

www.kornshell.com

and the "One and True Awk" (the latest release of "nawk" is now available
in source form through:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Of course, perl, which is under the GNU license, is the same under _all_
Unices. Precompiled executables, de*s, etc, are available at:

www.activestate.com

-Brian

Post by Lawson Hans » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I'm going to buy a used PC and put a "unix" on it (linux or FreeBSD or
>whatever... haven't decided yet). My question is, how close are the
>ports of the sh, ksh, and csh (or perl, tcl/tk, and nawk, for that
>matter) for Red Hat linux or NetBSD to those for the commercial OSs such
>as Solaris 2? Are there any hardware/os combinations to avoid or seek
>out? Thanks.
>Erik Bryer

In general (speaking from the point of view of a person who uses Linux),
you will find that almost all of the versions of awk, sh, tcl/tk, etc.,
are the same, if not better than their commercial Unix counterparts.
As someone else has already mentioned, the version of awk (and compilers
such as C, and C++, etc.) are the GNU (Free Software Foundation ?)
products, and they are every bit as good as any commercial product
(with perhaps the exception of developments at the leading edge of
technology ... usually the GNU product catches up some time later,
depending on how much interest there is in a new feature).

I have used Unix for over a decade now, and Linux for about 5 years,
and I find the Linux versions of everything to be as good, if not
better than anything I have come across in the commercial world.

Occasionally you may find a problem, but because it is based on Unix,
there will almost always be some other way of achieving what you need.
That, of course, is one of the best things about Unix/Linux ... that
you can solve the same problem in so many different ways, and the end
solution will be right for you, but may be simplified, or extended
to suit the needs of someone else.

If you have used any other Unix, I think you will be pleasantly
surprised by the quality of the software tools distributed with Linux.

Best regards,

Lawson Hanson

1. Linux Tcl/Tk diffs in netcom.com: ~ftp/pub/yggdrasil/misc/tcl-diffs

        I've placed the single line changes that I made to build
Tcl and Tk under Linux in netcom.com:~ftp/pub/yggdrasil/misc/tcl-diffs.
I've already sent these changes to Professor Ousterhout (the author
of Tcl and Tk).

        [I am posting this from soda.berkeley.edu because netcom.com
attempted to mail my posting to the nonexistent email address

--
Adam J. Richter                             Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated
409 Evelyn Ave., Apt. 312, Albany CA 94706  PO Box 8418, Berkeley CA 94707-8418

2. Print solution to replace Solaris x86?

3. Perl and Tcl/Tk: how important are they?

4. A little Help?

5. Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they?

6. 15 potential pointer dereference errors in 2.4.3

7. Perl & Tcl/Tk: How important are they?

8. Uninstall Linux RH 6.x on WinNT box...

9. Perl & Tcl/Tk for linux

10. TCL/TK or Perl

11. TK/tcl gurus: wrong version of Tk loaded (3.6): need 4.x?

12. Plans for Tcl/Tk8.4 version of tksh (ksh93 + Tcl/Tk)?

13. Advice: GUI Programming, Java, Tcl, Perl, C, etc