wksh

wksh

Post by Chris Camero » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 13:13:42



(First time with this news reader, I apologize if it doesn't behave
correctly)

Recently finished reading "Learning the Korn Shell" book, and at the back
it mentions wksh. The thought of using korn to make simple X windows
applications had me really e*d. Looked high and low on newsgroups
and google but wasn't able to find wksh itself, or very much information
about it. Most of what I found was from 1995 and before, at which point
in time it looks like it was quite common.

Was wondering if anyone here could tell me if I have any chance of
finding wksh or wksh code (not the source to wksh but code that made wksh
apps).

Either way, if anyone had any stories about using it I'd be equally
interested in hearing them. Learning ksh has introduced me to all sorts
of UNIX tools I either took for granted or didn't even know existed. It has
certainly peaked my interest in old-time unix things.

Thanks for your time,
Chris

 
 
 

wksh

Post by Derek M. Flyn » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:55:06



>  (First time with this news reader, I apologize if it doesn't behave
>  correctly)

>  Recently finished reading "Learning the Korn Shell" book, and at the back
>  it mentions wksh. The thought of using korn to make simple X windows
>  applications had me really e*d. Looked high and low on newsgroups
>  and google but wasn't able to find wksh itself, or very much information
>  about it. Most of what I found was from 1995 and before, at which point
>  in time it looks like it was quite common.

dtksh is still part of the CDE which has shipped with Solaris, HP-UX,
etc for many years.  It is basically ksh with bindings for Xt (with
Motif and Dt widgets).  No one really uses it, though, which I don't
entirely understand.

There is an Addison-Wesley book on Desktop Kornshell, and you'll still
find lots of good documentation around the web.  Google just gave me
some links that included a pretty good tutorial here:

www.tru64unix.compaq.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/HTML/Dtksh/dtksh...

 
 
 

wksh

Post by Dan Merc » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 04:48:25





>>  (First time with this news reader, I apologize if it doesn't behave
>>  correctly)

>>  Recently finished reading "Learning the Korn Shell" book, and at the back
>>  it mentions wksh. The thought of using korn to make simple X windows
>>  applications had me really e*d. Looked high and low on newsgroups
>>  and google but wasn't able to find wksh itself, or very much information
>>  about it. Most of what I found was from 1995 and before, at which point
>>  in time it looks like it was quite common.

> dtksh is still part of the CDE which has shipped with Solaris, HP-UX,
> etc for many years.  It is basically ksh with bindings for Xt (with
> Motif and Dt widgets).  No one really uses it, though, which I don't
> entirely understand.

> There is an Addison-Wesley book on Desktop Kornshell, and you'll still
> find lots of good documentation around the web.  Google just gave me
> some links that included a pretty good tutorial here:

> www.tru64unix.compaq.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/HTML/Dtksh/dtksh...

I use it.  I've built a Launcher App and a Man file launcher using it.
There is also tksh which uses the tk widgets.

--
Dan Mercer

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my employer.

 
 
 

wksh

Post by Derek M. Flyn » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 05:33:21




> >>  Recently finished reading "Learning the Korn Shell" book, and at the back
> >>  it mentions wksh. The thought of using korn to make simple X windows
> >>  applications had me really e*d.
...

> > dtksh is still part of the CDE which has shipped with Solaris, HP-UX,
> > etc for many years.  It is basically ksh with bindings for Xt (with
> > Motif and Dt widgets).  No one really uses it, though, which I don't
> > entirely understand.
...

>  I use it.  I've built a Launcher App and a Man file launcher using it.
>  There is also tksh which uses the tk widgets.

I've used dtksh to prototype a couple of Motif user-interfaces, and I
enjoy having something as easy as Tcl/Tk's wish shell, but without having
to completely re-do it when we've finished designing the user interface
and have to hook it into the application (which is invariably in Motif).
I just wish that it was editres-aware.

However, I can't figure out why so few people use its windowing extensions.
I think its just because so few people know its available (and probably
because there isn't an open-source variant).  A lot of people do seem to
use dtksh because it is a ksh93, though.

 
 
 

wksh

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:09:56



Quote:>Recently finished reading "Learning the Korn Shell" book, and at the back
>it mentions wksh.
>Was wondering if anyone here could tell me if I have any chance of
>finding wksh or wksh code (not the source to wksh but code that made wksh
>apps).

if you just want to write scripts that can interact graphically then tksh
(tk integrated into ksh) is somewhat similar in concept if not syntax, and
is included in the public release of ksh93 available from
<http://www.kornshell.com>.

according to the very book you read (`learning the korn shell', appendix
a.2) ...

| For more information on wksh, contact:
|
|     UNIX Systems Laboratories, Inc.
|     190 River Road
|     Summit, NJ 07901
|     Phone: (800) 828-UNIX or (908) 522-6000.

i'd guess that corel would be the proper company to contact now.

--
okay, have a sig then

 
 
 

wksh

Post by Richard T. K » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 04:30:55





>>Recently finished reading "Learning the Korn Shell" book, and at the back
>>it mentions wksh.

>>Was wondering if anyone here could tell me if I have any chance of
>>finding wksh or wksh code (not the source to wksh but code that made wksh
>>apps).

>if you just want to write scripts that can interact graphically then tksh
>(tk integrated into ksh) is somewhat similar in concept if not syntax, and
>is included in the public release of ksh93 available from
><http://www.kornshell.com>.

>according to the very book you read (`learning the korn shell', appendix
>a.2) ...

>| For more information on wksh, contact:
>|
>|     UNIX Systems Laboratories, Inc.
>|     190 River Road
>|     Summit, NJ 07901
>|     Phone: (800) 828-UNIX or (908) 522-6000.

>i'd guess that corel would be the proper company to contact now.

>--
>okay, have a sig then

  The address above is no longer valid for a long time. Novell closed it
  sometime after they bought it.

  information on ksh, ksh93, Dtksh, and Tksh can be found on the
  following site.

  www.kornshell.com

  richk

 
 
 

1. WKSH

What is WKSH and where can I find it?

Thanks in advance.

  Mark Allen       Internet: mallen!ncrcetc!ncrwic!ncrcom!{uunet..}

An AT&T Company    VP 530-4726  PHONE (316)636-4726
                "NCR CETC, ISO REGISTRATION COMING SOON!"
--
  Mark Allen       Internet: mallen!ncrcetc!ncrwic!ncrcom!{uunet..}

An AT&T Company    VP 530-4726  PHONE (316)636-4726
                "NCR CETC, ISO REGISTRATION COMING SOON!"

2. C++ libs in Redhat 6.2

3. WKSH - Korn shell w/Xwindows

4. ipc

5. WKSH info sought

6. /proc/cpuinfo

7. Windowing Korn Shell (wksh) source

8. Wanted: example of programming serial port

9. wksh ? (windowing ksh)

10. WKSH - Getting Started

11. SUMMARY: wksh availability

12. Gettin wksh w/o Motif

13. WKSH: Help Needed!