Cygwin HOME directory on Win XP

Post by arghe.. » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:53:23

Hi all,

Sorry for the repeat post and cross post (there are other questions
that sort of
address this) but I could use someone who has experience here.  I have
Cygwin installed on my Windows XP workstation (laptop actually).  My
(Win XP) HOMEDRIVE environment variable is set to C: and my HOMEPATH is
"\Documents and Settings\agherna.UIUC".  Whenever I lauch Cygwin (usu.
through 'bash --login -i'), Cygwin thinks my HOME directory should be
set to /usr/bin"C:/Documents and Settings/agherna.UIUC".  Any ideas as
to why /usr/bin is pre-pended to the HOME??  If I could get around
that, I think I can fix whatever else is wrong using other information.
 Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Andy

Post by arghe.. » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:19:00

> > Cygwin installed on my Windows XP workstation (laptop actually).  My
> > (Win XP) HOMEDRIVE environment variable is set to C: and my HOMEPATH is
> > "\Documents and Settings\agherna.UIUC".  Whenever I lauch Cygwin (usu.
> > through 'bash --login -i'), Cygwin thinks my HOME directory should be
> > set to /usr/bin"C:/Documents and Settings/agherna.UIUC".  Any ideas as
> > to why /usr/bin is pre-pended to the HOME??  If I could get around
> > that, I think I can fix whatever else is wrong using other information.
> >  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance

> No idea, but what I always do with cygwin is to set HOME in my
> environment to point to C:\Documents and Settings\cjh\My Documents
> That makes bash start in your My Documents directory. It seems
> really pointless of cygwin to create a home directory of its own
> instead of using the user's My Documents.

I think my problem has to do with having the . in my user id
(agherna.UIUC).  It's this way because I have 2 ids on my machine: one
is agherna that's for the local machine and the other is part of the
UIUC domain.  Has anyone been able to find a way to cope with the . in
the user id?

Post by David Hear » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:24:34

>>> Cygwin installed on my Windows XP workstation (laptop actually).  My
>>> (Win XP) HOMEDRIVE environment variable is set to C: and my HOMEPATH is
>>> "\Documents and Settings\agherna.UIUC".  Whenever I lauch Cygwin (usu.
>>> through 'bash --login -i'), Cygwin thinks my HOME directory should be
>>> set to /usr/bin"C:/Documents and Settings/agherna.UIUC".  Any ideas as
>>> to why /usr/bin is pre-pended to the HOME??  If I could get around
>>> that, I think I can fix whatever else is wrong using other information.
>>>  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance
>> No idea, but what I always do with cygwin is to set HOME in my
>> environment to point to C:\Documents and Settings\cjh\My Documents
>> That makes bash start in your My Documents directory. It seems
>> really pointless of cygwin to create a home directory of its own
>> instead of using the user's My Documents.

> I think my problem has to do with having the . in my user id
> (agherna.UIUC).  It's this way because I have 2 ids on my machine: one
> is agherna that's for the local machine and the other is part of the
> UIUC domain.  Has anyone been able to find a way to cope with the . in
> the user id?

I have a . in my username (login name.domain) and Cygwin works fine.  I
start it with the shortcut in my Start menu, which runs cygwin.bat.
I've not touched anything - was set up that way by Cygwin installer.
Contents of this file are:

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

When I start Cygwin I am in folder ~, which when doing pwd, shows:

$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/David Hearn.<domain>

Cygwin HOME directory on Win XP

Post by arghe.. » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:51:04

Could you post your entry from your /etc/passwd file (or send it to
me)?

Post by arghe.. » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:09:13

> If I understood your problem ...
> I have set HOME user variable in system Environment Variables to
> %USERPROFILE%
> Try it :)

Ok, that seemed to help, but I also noticed that my %HOME% environment
variable was surrounded by quotes.  Removing those corrected the
problem.  Thank you one and all for your help.
Quote:> --
> pozdrawiam serdecznie
> medenes

1. help: won't create home directories in /home

hi

i'm having this problem, as well as 2 friends who also just
installed solaris 2.5.  when we run admintool, and try to
add a user account, it says error:  could not create users
home directory.  however, it will work if you specify the
home directory someone besides /home.

i've installed it 3 times (not for this problem), and it
does the same thing each time.  anyone know what's going on?

If i do a 'df -k', it shows that it's mounting my home partition
on /export/home.  furthermore, if i check out the /home directory
in file manager, it says 'undefined'.

anyone have a clue?

** TIP# 696            ** http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~jason**
**  "Yeah, I've said it before.....                          **
**            Light moves pretty fast.                       **
**                                     - unknown             **

2. Script run with execl() kills parent process

3. Win XP Home & Samba

4. atttack information about SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4 ?

5. cups-lpd 1.1.x vs.a Win XP Home bug

6. Perl and suid scripts under linux

7. XP home users will have to upgrade to use a MS device targeted at home users

8. Problem with SLIP, can ping but nothing else!

9. UserAdd won't make home directory?

10. Cygwin User Login on Windows XP

11. automountd: trying to mount odd home directories(/home/.htaccess)

12. /home and automount maps with many home directory servers

13. Resizing NTFS partition (Win XP, Win 2000, NT)