egrep with -p option for Red Hat

Post by Dorai Sitar » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A colleague at work showed me the -p option of egrep on
our AIX machines and it's so useful I'm smitten.  (It
specifies a paragraph separater pattern, so the entire
paragraph containing the matching line is returned.)

However, I find that the egrep on my home PC running
Red Hat Linux 6 has no such option.  Does anyone know
where I can get this improved egrep?  Thanks.

Post by Alain Magloi » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: A colleague at work showed me the -p option of egrep on
: our AIX machines and it's so useful I'm smitten.  (It
: specifies a paragraph separater pattern, so the entire
: paragraph containing the matching line is returned.)

: However, I find that the egrep on my home PC running
: Red Hat Linux 6 has no such option.  Does anyone know
: where I can get this improved egrep?  Thanks.

I know of cgrep, but don't have any URL.
But You may emulate that with -A -B -C options
that shows you the context of the match.
See man grep, info grep or grep --help for more.

--
au revoir, alain
----

egrep with -p option for Red Hat

Post by Ken Pizzi » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>A colleague at work showed me the -p option of egrep on
>our AIX machines and it's so useful I'm smitten.  (It
>specifies a paragraph separater pattern, so the entire
>paragraph containing the matching line is returned.)

>However, I find that the egrep on my home PC running
>Red Hat Linux 6 has no such option.  Does anyone know
>where I can get this improved egrep?  Thanks.

Do a ftp search for "agrep".  It has this capablilty, in addition
to other nifty features.  (I know that current versions of agrep
are available as part of the glimpse package, but older stand-alone
versions should still be available somewhere on the 'net;
perhaps even as a binary on sunsite.unc.edu's mirrors.)

                --Ken Pizzini

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. KDE2.1 for Solaris8/Sparc

3. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

4. Conner CTM1360 support in ftape?

5. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

6. Load top permenantly at console tty?

7. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

8. Gack! unchangable file!

9. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming

10. Red Hat Piranha and Red Hat 7

11. "Official" Red Hat vs. Red Hat

12. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

13. red hat or red hat