Name pipe files and finger .plan files...

Name pipe files and finger .plan files...

Post by James Mill » Thu, 03 Jun 1993 17:20:28

I read with interest in the FAQ file here, the suggestion about using a name
pipe (made with mknod) in regards to finding, and possibly using the name of
the person fingering you in a plan file. However, the FAQ just brushes on the
idea and looks more at how to find remote user names.

Would some kind soul(s) be willing to explain to an intermediate shell user/C
programmer how to receive a (local, or perhaps remote) users name when
fingered and possibly how to show that name in the .plan file (ex. "Geez, Jo
Blow sure is nozy...").

Oh, some assumptions to answer: running SunOS 4.1 with BSD. Name pipes are
allowed with mknod and it appears fingerd will accept them as .plan files.

Please email responses to me, as I don't get to this group often, and this is
a pretty FAQish question.  Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

James Miller