simple bourne shell question

Post by tenn.. » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:45:40

Hi All:
    excuse me for this trivial question. But,
what is the command for pageup or pagedown when im at the $ (shell)
prompt ( NOT in the Editor mode).
lets say i do a "ls -l " frm the prompt and output just scrolls all the
way up. i wanna see the output without using the scroll bar or the page
up/down keys.
sorry again for the dumb question.

Thanks,
Tenneti

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Chris Matter » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:53:18

> Hi All:
>     excuse me for this trivial question. But,
> what is the command for pageup or pagedown when im at the $ (shell)
> prompt ( NOT in the Editor mode).
> lets say i do a "ls -l " frm the prompt and output just scrolls all the
> way up. i wanna see the output without using the scroll bar or the page
> up/down keys.
> sorry again for the dumb question.

You can't.  No shell I know of keeps a buffer of past output for you
to review.  You can review the terminal emulator's buffer (AKA
"using the scroll bar or the page up/down keys"), or you can pipe
the output of the command to a viewing utility, such as more, less,
or pg.

                           Chris Mattern

Post by Peter Sundstro » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:12:53

> Hi All:
>     excuse me for this trivial question. But,
> what is the command for pageup or pagedown when im at the $ (shell)
> prompt ( NOT in the Editor mode).
> lets say i do a "ls -l " frm the prompt and output just scrolls all the
> way up. i wanna see the output without using the scroll bar or the page
> up/down keys.
> sorry again for the dumb question.

man more
man pg

1. Simple Bourne Shell script question

Hi everyone,
   I'm not sure if it's the correct group, so feel free to tell me
where I should post this: I'm struggling to write a simple script
which would simply capture the names of the log files which were
created today. Here's what I came up with:

#!/bin/sh
today=`date | awk '{ print ( "\"" $2 " " $3 "\"" ) }'`
echo $today
files=`ls -l *.log | grep $today | awk '{ print $NF }'`
echo $files
for FILE in $files
do
        echo $FILE
done

The variable today seems OK. Here's what I get when I run it:

"May 12"
grep: 12": No such file or directory

Anyone has an idea what I need to do for this "grep" to work?

Thanx

2. is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

3. isdn4linux and RedHat 5.1

4. Light Speed Bourne Shell! (was: Bourne shell tricks)

5. how to format a DOS diskett with linux

6. Simple Bourne Shell Script...

7. tar 1.11.8 segfaults in 2.0.32

8. A Simple Bourne Shell Script ?

9. SIMPLE BOURNE SHELL SCRIPTING...

10. Simple Bourne Shell Scripts...

11. WANTED: Plain, simple, and SMALL Bourne Shell

12. Looking for simple Bourne/Korn shell FIFO queue mechanism :-|