I'm pleased to announce the second beta release of the Dotfile Generator
If you don't know what the Dotfile Generator is then take a look
at the WWW pages: http://www.imada.ou.dk/~blackie/dotfile/
You can download it from on of these sites:
o ftp://ftp.imada.ou.dk/pub/dotfile (Europe)
o ftp://ftp.eece.ksu.edu/pub/dotfile (USA)
where it is located both as gziped and compressed:
For those of you who know what the Dotfile Generator is, please continue
with the Changes section.
What is it:
The dotfile generator is two things:
1) It's a tool with which you can configure emacs, tcsh and fvwm (and soon
bash, NCSA WWW server and procmail)
The configuration is done with check buttons entries, list boxes,
etc. All the way there's lots of help.
2) The Dotfile Generator is also a configuration tool where you can
create a high level interface to your own programs. The Dotfile
Generator uses tcl/tk so it is very flexible and powerful.
Why should you use it?
Well if you don't use either emacs, tcsh or fvwm, then there's no
If you know everything about the above programs, then there's no reason
either, but before you decide that you know everything, please check these
- How do you tell emacs not to change group privileges of files you edit?
- How do you persuade emacs not to insert lines at the end of a file
when you press down arrow at the last line
- How do you change the prefix command for outline mode
- How do you change indentation in html-helper-mode
- How do you tell emacs where the TclX help files are located
- how do you insert the last exit code in your prompt?
- how do you make tcsh add a slash or space on completion.
- how do you make tcsh complete on directories only when you complete
on the command "cd" ? or on process id's with kill?
- how do you turn off the audio bell when completing?
- how do you enable/disable automatic logout ?
This module configures the FVWM window manager. It enables you to
change all the options available and define your own functions and
popup menus, for example:
- The fonts used in menus, decorations and the internal pager
- Which MWM options to enable
- change the styles of different windows
- change the appearance of your mouse cursor
and much more.
You might also want to make it easier for some users to configure a
program you've written. If so, this is a perfect tool for that.
* added support for "bytecompiling"
* created the function which shall make it possible for the
dotfile generator to read old save files.
* Changed the save function, so it now is possible to add new
element to a configuration page
* added the possibility to read options on other configuration pages.
* add state to the save file, so that state will be correct when
the file is loaded.
* added code to prevent that two configuration pages are loaded at
once, which could happen if the user selected a new page before
the last one had loaded.
* changed the description box, so it now fill the whole page.
* added copy,cut and paste for extended entries.
* added support for system general save files.
* changed the name of the executable files to dotfile
* now all widget's are grey when they are disabled.
* added page: additional variables
* added 'PAGER' to misc page
* pick the delimiter from a list in user defined completions, so
that it was posible to have a slash in eg. the command to execute.
* add the alias page
* added umask to files page