Can I read news through a shell

Post by Roy Ba » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I would like to know if it is possible to read the newsgroups through
a shell account (the news is through a commercial provider that
requires a username and password.

Why would I want to do this?  To download a binary and mail it to
someone else without ever having to pull it down through my slow
modem.

Is this possible?  If so, how?

Thanks for your time.
Please remove the '**' in my email address to respond.

Can I read news through a shell

Post by leung- tac » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Just try : tin
it's a text version

Yves.

Quote:> I would like to know if it is possible to read the newsgroups through

Post by Craig Dolni » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I would like to know if it is possible to read the newsgroups through
>a shell account (the news is through a commercial provider that
>requires a username and password.

Yes, it's possible, as long as your ISP offers a shell account.  If
you're using an ISP like AOL, you're out of luck.  See if the ISP that
you used to post your article (conterra.com) offers shell accounts.

Quote:>Why would I want to do this?  To download a binary and mail it to
>someone else without ever having to pull it down through my slow
>modem.

I always use my shell account to read the news.  When replying (such
as this), I use Free Agent (so that I can disguise my email address in
order to prevent spam email).

Quote:>Is this possible?  If so, how?

You need:
-- A shell account.
-- A news reader client (such as trn or tin) compiled on your ISP's
machine.  Your ISP should provide this.  If they don't have one, ask
them to get one.  tin is popular, but I prefer trn (I think it's more
powerful).  If all else fails, you can compile it yourself.  But
before doing that, consider a new ISP.
-- Enough disk space on your ISP's machine, allocated to your account,
so that you have a place to store saved articles.

Make sure the ISP you're using provides access to the newsgroups that
you with to subscribe to.  Not all ISP's carry all the newsgroups.

Saving/emailing a 1meg uuencoded article should only take about 1-2
seconds, compared to several minutes when using the standard pc
client/modem method.

If your ISP doesn't offer shell accounts, and you don't want to switch
to a new ISP, then see if you can telnet to other locations.  If you
can, you can keep your current ISP, telnet to a new ISP (and pay a
minimum charge for just a shell account (no ppp)).  Since you're
telnet'ing from one ISP to another ISP, you don't have to worry about
local dial-up access charges or busy signals.  The new ISP can be
located anywhere in the world where response time between the two
ISP's is to your satisfaction.

Quote:>Thanks for your time.
>Please remove the '**' in my email address to respond.

===

Leave off the "1" at the begining and the end.
Their purpose is to prevent spam email.

Can I read news through a shell

Post by Roy Ba » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have a shell with my ISP, and they do have trn installed, but I
can't figure out how to use it.  Will I be able to use trn to access
another news server other than my ISP's?

I typed 'man trn' to get the manual, but I would have to cut and paste
it from the telnet window many times to get a copy of it.  Do you know
of any resources that I could learn about trn?  Again, if it can't
access another news server and login with an id and password, I
wouldn't want to use it.

Thanks again for your time.

Post by Tony Svanstr » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I typed 'man trn' to get the manual, but I would have to cut and paste
> it from the telnet window many times to get a copy of it.

If you do this alot then write a small script so that you can access
manfiles with your www-browser, then it's very easy to save it.

     /Tony
I'm sorry I don't have the time to write/send you the script, I'm about
to move 9 timezones away from where I live now...
--
                                 /\___/\

          ---------------------oOO-(_)-OOo-------------------
           "We only live to please those we love" -- Aphrael
          ----------------------???---???--------------------
                                \O/   \O/ ?Tony Svanstr?m 1997

Can I read news through a shell

Hey, that worked like a charm, thanks!!

Post by Wayne Garm » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I have a shell with my ISP, and they do have trn installed, but I
>can't figure out how to use it.  Will I be able to use trn to access
>another news server other than my ISP's?

Sure.  I do it all the time (to read newsgroups not not available at
my primary ISP but are available on an ISP I have telnet access to).
You just need to know the NNTP Server address of the other ISP.

The command I use is:

NNTPSERVER=news.remote.isp trn

NOTE: You may need a separate .newsrc file for the other ISP (I hand
copy between the local and non-local .newsrc files when I do this).

I believe this is also usable in tin and rn.

Wayne
--
Wayne S. Garmil, Best/1 for Unix QA Software Engineer
BGS Systems, Inc., One First Ave., Waltham, MA  02254

Phone: (617) 663-4534   <*>   Fax: (617) 890-0000

Post by Hans Georg Schaath » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: NOTE: You may need a separate .newsrc file for the other ISP (I hand
: copy between the local and non-local .newsrc files when I do this).

slrn handles this a bit more nicely.
You can define different .newsrc files for each server in .slrnrc,
and you can start slrn with
  slrn -h <nntpserver>

--
:-- Hans Georg           --- student of 'Life, the Universe and Everything'

,Studenter, ta fri, det er v?r !'