simple shell question

Post by Verna Legasp » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Can someone briefly summarize for me the shells and their respective init
(correct terminology?)files?  For example: bash uses .bashrc or .bash_login?
But what about csh, and ksh?  And where does .profile .login fit into this?

Thanks In Advance!
Verna

simple shell question

Post by Ken Pizzi » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Can someone briefly summarize for me the shells and their respective init
>(correct terminology?)files?  For example: bash uses .bashrc or .bash_login?
>But what about csh, and ksh?  And where does .profile .login fit into this?

Here is a not-quite-complete answer:

   shell | if "login shell"  | other interactive startup
   ------+-------------------+--------------------------
   sh    | .profile          | -none-
   ksh   | .profile          | file named in $ENV
   bash  | .bash_profile (1) | .bashrc
   zsh   | .zprofile/.zlogin | .zshrc
   csh   | .login            | .cshrc
   tcsh  | .login            | .cshrc
   rc    | .rcrc             | -none-
   es    | .esrc             | -none-
   scsh  | -none- (2)        | -none-

   (1) bash will try to source .profile if no .bash_profile exists.
   (2) As far as I can tell, scsh is not really designed to be
       used as an interactive shell, at least in its current
       incarnation.

For important details which may have been omitted above (e.g., does
a "login shell" source the "other interactive" file in addition
to the login file, and if so, in what order?  Are there any system-wide
files which get sourced for login shells?), and to correct errors
(I don't use all of these shells, and so may be remembering some
details wrong), I advise you to refer to the man pages for the shells
of interest.

                --Ken Pizzini

simple shell question

Post by bmar.. » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

   >Can someone briefly summarize for me the shells and their
   >respective init (correct terminology?)files?  For example: bash
   >uses .bashrc or .bash_login? But what about csh, and ksh?  And
   >where does .profile .login fit into this?
   >Thanks In Advance!
   >Verna
for shell in `cat /etc/shells`; do man $shell; done

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

simple shell question

Post by Barry Margoli » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>   tcsh  | .login            | .cshrc

tcsh will also look for .tcshrc before using .cshrc.

simple shell question

Post by Keith Thompso » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> for shell in `cat /etc/shells`; do man $shell; done

Well, almost.

for shell in `sed 's,.*/,,' /etc/shells`; do man $shell; done

Add " | sort -u" before the second backtick if your /etc/shells
includes more than one path for each shell.

(Yeah, I know, picky picky.)

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
One of the great tragedies of ancient history is that Helen of Troy

1. simple shell question. mlml

I'm stuck!
I'll like to read a string(which may include one or more spaces) from the user
in 'ksh' i tried,

   read my_string
   echo $my_string

it seems to squash 'white spaces'.
How do I preserve one/many spaces in the environment var?
This does not even work,

   my_string="dfg             hfhdhd                gjg"
   echo $my_string

(this gives :
dfg hfhdhd gjg
)
Is this  because the way environment vars work with string?

cheers
thanks in advance,

--
    /-----------------------------------------------/ \--\--\  \-- \--
   /                 mike                          /---\  \  \ \\   \

 /-----------------------------------------------/

2. Which Distribution

3. Simple Shell Question-Please!

4. dual X-Window display

5. Simple shell question

6. Q: How to set link speed

7. Simple Shell question

8. HELP: how to convert files from Html to Pdf using command line

9. HELP!! Simple shell question

10. Simple Shell Question

11. Simple Shell question

12. Simple Shell Question