dtksh (HP-UX ksh93) as login shell

Post by tom » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:27:39

Does anyone else out there use dtksh as their default shell. Do you
recommend it? Are there any known issues?

Thanks,
-tom

dtksh (HP-UX ksh93) as login shell

Post by Lothar Palti » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:09:01

Quote:> Does anyone else out there use dtksh as their default shell. Do you
> recommend it? Are there any known issues?

Works great. There are the following issues:

- You should add "/usr/dt/bin/dtksh" to /etc/shells.

- If you use non-CDE logins, create a symbolic link from /etc/profile to
  /etc/dt/config/profile and, if it exists, from /etc/suid_profile to
  /etc/dt/config/suid_profile.

- If you use CDE under HP-UX 10, change every occurance of "ksh)" to
  "ksh | dtksh)" in /usr/dt/bin/Xsession. Unfortunately, this file may be
  overwritten by an CDE patch, so you must check it after each patch
  installation. This change isn't necessary under HP-UX 11, it's already
  included.

- Dtksh doesn't update the settings of LINES and COLUMNS when you resize
  the shell window. Please contact me directly for a .kshrc that includes a
  workaround for this.

--

Post by Sven Maschec » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:03:14

 > Works great. There are the following issues:

 > - If you use CDE under HP-UX 10, change every occurance of "ksh)" to
 >   "ksh | dtksh)" in /usr/dt/bin/Xsession. Unfortunately, this file may be
 >   overwritten by an CDE patch, so you must check it after each patch
 >   installation.

Safe way: modifying a copy in /etc/dt/config/
See hints in dtlogin(1)

[xpost kept alive]
Sven

dtksh (HP-UX ksh93) as login shell

Post by Lothar Palti » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 06:03:38

Quote:> Safe way: modifying a copy in /etc/dt/config/

That's not enough. Unlike other CDE config files, Xsession is a script
that isn't used automatically if it appears in /etc/dt/config. You must
also copy /usr/dt/config/Xconfig to /etc/dt/config and add
"Dtlogin*session: /etc/dt/config/Xsession" to it. But then you have a
similar patch problem. Your Xsession file doesn't include the changes made
by a patch. You must also check it after each CDE patch, so I decided to
change /usr/dt/bin/Xsession directly.

--

Post by Sven Maschec » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:27:12

 >> Safe way: modifying a copy in /etc/dt/config/

 > [ Actually copies of _several_ files ]
 > But then you have a similar patch problem. Your Xsession file doesn't
 > include the changes made by a patch.

Yes, but that's a good way to keep save all the changes you made...

Sven

1. Difference between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20

Hello,

what are the differences between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20?

I ask because one of our customers want to evalute our software
(which was developed on 10.10) on HP-UX 10.20. Is there full
backward compatibility?

Thanks for your helps

        Rainer

Rainer Freis    -       Systemadministrator

santix software GmbH
Max-Planck-Str. 7
D-85716 Unterschleissheim

Phone: (+49) 89 321506-24
Fax  : (+49) 89 321506-99

You don't know what real time-critical software is until
you're responsible for the paychecks of a battalion of
heavily armed Marines.

        (somebody in alt.sysadmin.recovery)

2. FREE Imaging Tool for Linux/Windows

3. Graphical login to remote hp-ux.

4. Galeon, anyone?

5. Missing password/login help with HP-UX 8.X

6. Solaris 2.3->2.4 broken RPC?

7. Disable Login,Enable su for HP-UX

8. Novince questions reparding Linux installation.

9. Finding out last login time on HP-UX / Sun

10. Restrict login on HP-UX

11. What does /bin/login do to initialize the pty in HP-UX?

12. Read bug in ksh93 (dtksh)

13. Restricted shells in HP-UX 10.20 (rksh)