zip, tar, gzip and all that

Post by Future Beaco » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I don't know if this is the right news group for this problem, but
my ISP has ungraded their shell account software and it now does not
have the programs called zip and unzip.  They say that tar --help
should tell me how to use gzip to unzip a group of files compressed
in Windows and sent to me (I assume it is pkzip).  I seem to have
tried everything.  Does anybody know how to unzip in a shell account
using either gzip or tar?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Trek
Future Beacon Technology
http://eznet.net/~progress

zip, tar, gzip and all that

Post by albertus:^ » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>I don't know if this is the right news group for this problem, but
>my ISP has ungraded their shell account software and it now does not
>have the programs called zip and unzip.  They say that tar --help
>should tell me how to use gzip to unzip a group of files compressed
>in Windows and sent to me (I assume it is pkzip).  I seem to have
>tried everything.  Does anybody know how to unzip in a shell account
>using either gzip or tar?

>Thank you for your help.

>Jim Trek
>Future Beacon Technology
>http://eznet.net/~progress

Using GNU  tar:

$ tar  -xzf  file.tar.gz
    (sometimes  file.tar.gz  would look file.tgz  or  file.tar.Z)

Or

do it one at a time...
$ gunzip   file.tar.gz
    (or  gzip -d  file.tar.gz)
$ tar  -xf    file.tar

If it's just a compressed(zipped) file, you can just do "gunzip".
$ gunzip  file.gz
$ gunzip  file.Z
$ gunzip  file.zip

To understand what you just did?
$ man  tar
   or
$ tar --help
$ man gunzip

Hope this helps.

albertus;)

zip, tar, gzip and all that

Post by Future Beaco » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Michael,

Thank you for this message.  Somthing must be wrong at the shell
account level.  None of these measures works.  The file was zip in
Windows or DOS with PKZIP.EXE.  I will have to download such files
to DOS and unzip them there.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Trek
Future Beacon Technology
http://eznet.net/~progress

> >I don't know if this is the right news group for this problem, but
> >my ISP has ungraded their shell account software and it now does not
> >have the programs called zip and unzip.  They say that tar --help
> >should tell me how to use gzip to unzip a group of files compressed
> >in Windows and sent to me (I assume it is pkzip).  I seem to have
> >tried everything.  Does anybody know how to unzip in a shell account
> >using either gzip or tar?

> >Thank you for your help.

> >Jim Trek
> >Future Beacon Technology
> >http://eznet.net/~progress

> Using GNU  tar:

> $ tar  -xzf  file.tar.gz
>     (sometimes  file.tar.gz  would look file.tgz  or  file.tar.Z)

> Or

> do it one at a time...
> $ gunzip   file.tar.gz
>     (or  gzip -d  file.tar.gz)
> $ tar  -xf    file.tar

> If it's just a compressed(zipped) file, you can just do "gunzip".
> $ gunzip  file.gz
> $ gunzip  file.Z
> $ gunzip  file.zip

> To understand what you just did?
> $ man  tar
>    or
> $ tar --help
> $ man gunzip

> Hope this helps.

> albertus;)

zip, tar, gzip and all that

Post by Philip Rowland » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I don't know if this is the right news group for this problem, but
> my ISP has ungraded their shell account software and it now does not
> have the programs called zip and unzip.

Tell them if they remove basic tools that their customers request you
will take your business elsewhere.

Quote:> They say that tar --help should tell me how to use gzip to unzip a
> group of files compressed in Windows and sent to me (I assume it
> is pkzip).

Incorrect. tar creates multi-file archives; gzip compresses single
files. PKZIP does both, but it is not compatible with either the tar or
gzip formats.

Quote:> Does anybody know how to unzip in a shell account
> using either gzip or tar?

I suggest you obtain the "zip" and "unzip" programs from
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/infozip/

Phil

zip, tar, gzip and all that

Post by Peter Sundstro » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:46:57

Quote:

> I don't know if this is the right news group for this problem, but
> my ISP has ungraded their shell account software and it now does not
> have the programs called zip and unzip.  They say that tar --help
> should tell me how to use gzip to unzip a group of files compressed
> in Windows and sent to me (I assume it is pkzip).  I seem to have
> tried everything.  Does anybody know how to unzip in a shell account
> using either gzip or tar?

gzip can not unzip a file.  It can handle gzip and compress files.  Tell
your ISP that they should try it themselves.

1. Which is better: tar->gzip or gzip->tar?

For best compression on previously uncompressed files,
which is better: tar * | gzip, or gzip * | tar?
IE, is it best to tar compressed files, or compress
a tar file of uncompressed files?  Does gzip -r * work
better than either solution?

I'm looking for the most robust method to archive groups
of files.

---

Mayo Medical and Graduate Schools
200 1st St. SW, Rochester, MN 55905

2. Tekram DC3x5 SCSI driver 1.41

3. Modem not responding

4. Help with gzip and tar

5. sed to filter 1st whitespace?

6. Newbie tar and gzip questions...

7. Problem: take over vga from *getty, move console to ttyS0

8. tar and gzip at the same time?

9. gzip and tar

10. newbie using tar and gzip

11. gui for tar/gzip????