Dynamic WWW Events Calendar in Korn Shell

Dynamic WWW Events Calendar in Korn Shell

Post by Dana Frenc » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am announcing a new program which is a Dynamic Web Based Events Calendar
written in Korn shell.  This program allows web clients to view, and submit
events to a centralized calendar via the Internet or Intranet.  An example
calendar can be viewed at :

http://members.tripod.com/~dfrench/samplecal.html

The software runs as a set of cgi scripts and is written in Korn shell.  It
has been tested on an RS/6000 running AIX with a Netscape Web server.  I am
distributing this software as shareware and I will be enhancing the
examples over the next few days.  If you would like to download the

Dana French

Dynamic WWW Events Calendar in Korn Shell

Post by Doug Lens » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Question: if normal environment is csh. Is it possible to
run a ksh command without changing to ksh or setting up
a ksh script file?
would like to be able to use the 2> option of error piping
in ksh, but this is running normally in a csh environment
and do not want to change users to ksh. Most would not know
how to get back to csh.

any ideas would be appreciated.

I have been setting up a ksh script file and running it
and then removing it. Would be much simplier if could
just run a ksh script from the command line.

thanks in advance.

---

Dynamic WWW Events Calendar in Korn Shell

Post by Dana Frenc » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Question: if normal environment is csh. Is it possible to
> run a ksh command without changing to ksh or setting up
> a ksh script file?
> would like to be able to use the 2> option of error piping
> in ksh, but this is running normally in a csh environment
> and do not want to change users to ksh. Most would not know
> how to get back to csh.

> any ideas would be appreciated.

> I have been setting up a ksh script file and running it
> and then removing it. Would be much simplier if could
> just run a ksh script from the command line.

> thanks in advance.

> ---

The first line of a Korn Shell script should be:

#!/bin/ksh

or whatever the appropriate path is for your ksh program.

Dana French

Post by Icarus Spar » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Question: if normal environment is csh. Is it possible to
>run a ksh command without changing to ksh or setting up
>a ksh script file?
>would like to be able to use the 2> option of error piping
>in ksh, but this is running normally in a csh environment
>and do not want to change users to ksh. Most would not know
>how to get back to csh.

>I have been setting up a ksh script file and running it
>and then removing it. Would be much simplier if could
>just run a ksh script from the command line.

You seem to have 2 conflicting requirements here, the ability to run
a script and the desire to run it from the command line.

If it is a script, then starting it with
        #! /bin/ksh
will make the system feed it to ksh on any reasonably modern system.

If you want to run it from the command line, then 'ksh -c' as in

ksh -c 'command 2> command.err > command.out'

will do what you ask for.
Icarus

1. Dynamic WWW based Events Calendar

Announcing a new Dynamic Web based Events Calendar called "EventWeb".

EventWeb provides a dynamic World Wide Web based Events Calendar which
may be viewed, modified, maintained, configured, and administered via
the Internet or Intranet.

Example pages from EventWeb can be viewed and software downloaded at:

http://members.tripod.com/~eventweb/index.html

EventWeb is written in Korn shell scripts which makes it portable to
virtually any Unix platform and you get the source code.  Also, you do
not need to  maintain any additional, non-standard shells, such as perl,
since Korn is shipped as a standard shell with most Unix systems.  The
Korn shell scripts run as cgi programs on your web server.

Regards,

Dana French

2. Diskless With PXE.

3. WebEvent 3.04 released - Web Calendar, CGI Calendar, WWW Calendar

4. $cwd and $pwd are "Undefined Variables" in shell (.cshrc)

5. best korn shell resources and is there a korn shell faq

6. Pop (mail) server

7. Dynamic Prompt in Korn Shell

8. Cylinder 1023 - where is it?

9. korn shell script for getting data from dynamic directory

10. SCO Calendar: Cannot List Events

11. Calendar of UNIX-related Events

12. kshEvents - Web Based Events Calendar