tcsh - bindkey

Post by jimmi » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:29:42

Hello,
I'm trying to bind Ctrl-m to execute pine, but couldn't do it...
It should be similar like:

bindkey -s "^m" "pine\n"

but this doesn't work...
This is very strange for me, because for example this works:
bindkey -s "^Xm" "pine\n"

Can anybody tell me why? And how can I bind it to Ctrl-m.

Thanks for any help,
jimmij

--
I come from the Land Of Imagination

tcsh - bindkey

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:01:57

2004-12-14, 17:29(+01), jimmij:

Quote:> Hello,
> I'm trying to bind Ctrl-m to execute pine, but couldn't do it...
> It should be similar like:

> bindkey -s "^m" "pine\n"

^m is the same key as the return key. You probably don't want to
bind it.

--
Stephane

tcsh - bindkey

Post by jimmi » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:54:16

> 2004-12-14, 17:29(+01), jimmij:
>> I'm trying to bind Ctrl-m to execute pine, but couldn't do it...
>> It should be similar like:

>> bindkey -s "^m" "pine\n"

> ^m is the same key as the return key. You probably don't want to
> bind it.

hmmm...
So this means that if I bound ctrl-m to some command I will not got
the return key also???

--
I come from the Land Of Imagination

tcsh - bindkey

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:39:02

2004-12-14, 17:54(+01), jimmij:
[...]

Quote:>>> bindkey -s "^m" "pine\n"

>> ^m is the same key as the return key. You probably don't want to
>> bind it.

> hmmm...
> So this means that if I bound ctrl-m to some command I will not got
> the return key also???

Yes, <Return> and <Ctrl-M> are the same. So, if you bind one,
you bind the other.

The fact that you don't manage to bind ^M is because tcsh sets
the ICRNL termios bit on the terminal which tells the terminal
to turn ^Ms into ^Js before sending the character to the
application.

So, if you bind ^J, you'll have pine both on <Ctrl-M> and on
<Return>.

--
Stephane

1. Help tcsh, bindkey

I have just converting from csh to tcsh which offers command line editing.

The problem is trying to bind the arrow keys to the up/down history and
forward/backward char. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have a sun sparc 10 (with a new keyboard)

Thanks

--
    _---_     Steve

  | \___/ |
              Just say NO to VMS!!

2. puter show comes to town

3. Tcsh Bindkey -- Home/End

4. LILO failure, what to do? Please help.

5. tcsh bindkey wont work in login script

6. Some question about HACMP

7. tcsh bindkey in .cshrc -- how?

8. User ftp access denied

9. tcsh: bindkey for arrow keys

10. tcsh - bindkey

11. tcsh not reading bindkey from .cshrc

12. Help: can't get bindkey to work in Tcsh...

13. : bindkey in tcsh