fork a new environment

Post by Andrew H. Eva » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Folks -

I need to satisfy users who don't remember/too-lazy to modify
umask/fix-permissions when working in different group directories.
My approach was to use an alias or shell script to change cwd,
umask, and prompt, then perhaps source a file in the new dir.
By exiting the user would return to previous environment. The
user's shell must be tcsh or csh, cross platform compatible.

My attempts at sourcing and scripting have fallen short of my
goals.   Heck, is this a realistic goal anyway?   I just don't
wish to create new group-user accounts when I'm trying to reduce
the account population for security considerations.

I thought maybe someone might already be doing this.

Thanks in advance - Andy

1. comsat forking, forking and forking (3.2.0)

94

Has anyone an idea on what could have caused all those comsat
processes to appear in less than one night? (I got really heavy mail
traffic this nite, so I guess it's related).

Would replacing comsat with the BSD one help solving the problem?

--

   "No keyboard, press F1 to continue"

2. Redhat 5.0 does not relay mail?

3. select() vs fork() in a client/server environment

4. better login security

5. fork call without using function fork()

6. Modem on the Sony Computer

7. Efficiency: fork() w/ shared libraries vs. fork()/exec()

8. newbie-Sound on B&W G3

9. to fork or to pre-fork

10. egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks

11. New radeonfb fork

12. "can't fork new process" - Netscape server v3.5.1