problems restoring archive from tape

Post by George B. Ro » Fri, 04 Mar 1994 06:10:42

Hello,
I am running a UN*X system and need to back up some root
directory files in order to perform an OS upgrade.  The
problem I am having is that I can send the stuff to tape as
'gross' (me), but retrieving the archive is a problem.  If I
run my archive/unarchive script as 'gross' on my machine, I
don't have proper permissions to restore the root directory
files.  If I log in as 'root' and run my script, the rsh
command fails (I'm not root on the remote machine).  Is
there some simple way of solving this problem?

-george

Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering_______University of Notre Dame

1. problems restoring archive from tape

Hello,
I am running a UN*X system and need to back up some root
directory files in order to perform an OS upgrade.  The
problem I am having is that I can send the stuff to tape as
'gross' (me), but retrieving the archive is a problem.  If I
run my archive/unarchive script as 'gross' on my machine, I
don't have proper permissions to restore the root directory
files.  If I log in as 'root' and run my script, the rsh
command fails (I'm not root on the remote machine).  Is
there some simple way of solving this problem?

-george

Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering_______University of Notre Dame

2. Ich m?chte eine Verbindung ins Internet Linux und einer TelesS0 16.3

3. Need to restore corrupted tar archive from 1/4" tape

4. Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way.

5. help - how to restore files from corrupt tape archive?!?!

6. Doing "Call subroutine" Using AIX's SCRIPT Language

7. How restore a crashed tape archive ?

8. sound card under SOLARIS

9. Amanda -> amrestore / restore problem 'Tape is not a dump Tape'

10. Dump/restore problem (w/Archive Anaconda)

11. Problem : restore tar archive.

12. Formatting tapes with an Archive 5945 tape drive

13. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")