Help w/ copy & paste in X Windows

Post by yan_can_c.. » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:13:34

This is a repost that I didn't get answered...

I am using Exceed for NT with Samba and I cannot make
copy and paste to work within the X Window.  I know
it works because other machines do it, and it used
to work on this one until the system was rebuilt.

Now, when I try to do copy or paste with the keyboard
within X Windows (or from X Windows to Windose), the
only result is a few control characters ( i.e., ^[[ ).

The only workaround I have found so far is to use the
mouse to copy and paste.  I have checked the keyboard
emulation settings, but everything seems fine.

Any suggestions?

Post by Joe Halpi » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:25:38

> This is a repost that I didn't get answered...

> I am using Exceed for NT with Samba and I cannot make
> copy and paste to work within the X Window.  I know
> it works because other machines do it, and it used
> to work on this one until the system was rebuilt.

> Now, when I try to do copy or paste with the keyboard
> within X Windows (or from X Windows to Windose), the
> only result is a few control characters ( i.e., ^[[ ).

> The only workaround I have found so far is to use the
> mouse to copy and paste.  I have checked the keyboard
> emulation settings, but everything seems fine.

> Any suggestions?

Try posting to a more X specific group if you're not getting answers
here. For example comp.windows.x. You'll probably find more X guru
types there than here.

Alternatively, check with the makers of Exceed, or ask about this in a
Microsoft group. The latter might be your best bet if the problem
happened after the machine had been rebuilt. Windows is famous for
changing how it works when you rebuild it.

I doubt that it's a problem on the Unix side. The problem is more
likely with exceed (I know several people who have problems with it
like that), or something in Windows.

Joe

Help w/ copy & paste in X Windows

Post by Al » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:13:27

Quote:> I am using Exceed for NT with Samba and I cannot make
> copy and paste to work within the X Window.  I know
> it works because other machines do it, and it used
> to work on this one until the system was rebuilt.

> Now, when I try to do copy or paste with the keyboard
> within X Windows (or from X Windows to Windose), the
> only result is a few control characters ( i.e., ^[[ ).

> The only workaround I have found so far is to use the
> mouse to copy and paste.  I have checked the keyboard
> emulation settings, but everything seems fine.

> Any suggestions?

Get into 'xconfig' of the exceed and get into 'Xselection'.
Enable Autocopy, Autopaste and copy on focus loss -- all thru PRIMARY.

HTH
-Al

Post by Oliver Lot » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:03:34

Quote:

> > I am using Exceed for NT with Samba and I cannot make
> > copy and paste to work within the X Window.  I know
> > it works because other machines do it, and it used
> > to work on this one until the system was rebuilt.

> > Now, when I try to do copy or paste with the keyboard
> > within X Windows (or from X Windows to Windose), the
> > only result is a few control characters ( i.e., ^[[ ).

> > The only workaround I have found so far is to use the
> > mouse to copy and paste.  I have checked the keyboard
> > emulation settings, but everything seems fine.

> > Any suggestions?

> Get into 'xconfig' of the exceed and get into 'Xselection'.
> Enable Autocopy, Autopaste and copy on focus loss -- all thru PRIMARY.

> HTH
> -Al

Try also CLIPBOARD instead of PRIMARY.  This works for me.

Cheers,
Oliver

1. Help: too many konqueror windows during copy&paste

I have installed RH 7.2, which claims KDE 2.2-10.  RH claims that this
has all of the features of KDE 2.2.1, except that the version number
isn't allowed to be 2.2.1.  It looks like 2.2.1, too.

Anyways, I used konqueror to copy some directories from /mnt/cdrom to
~.  Right-click on the source, select copy.  Right-click on the
destination directory, select paste.

During the file copy about four more konqueror windows popped up, all
pointing at the source directory.

Is this a known bug with any version of KDE, or a RH problem, or such?

TIA,
Jerome.

2. root or ~(tilde)?

3. Copy & Paste | Solaris Openwin - CDE Window Manager

4. Q: How to recover data from ext2?

5. Cut, copy & paste in X-windows

6. PCI Display Card for Ultra5

7. Selecting, copying, & Pasting between X windows?

8. PISMO and linux PPC 2000 install

9. HELP: Copy & Paste multiple pages under rxvt terminal

10. Cut, Paste, Copy, Front keys in X-Windows

11. Copy and Paste from different X windows

12. problem with mouse copy-pasting in xterm windows

13. X-Windows Copy Paste