Login problem with root, but can login with other user.

Login problem with root, but can login with other user.

Post by Geor » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:55:16

I create a new user and later on when I login with root, when I typed
username: root, and password... and got the error message"Unable to
access home directory. Click OK to start a Failsafe session, or Cancel
to restart login. So I must use Failsafe interface to do anything
related with root.
But I can login with other user to access to CDE.
How to solve that problem?
Thanks!

Login problem with root, but can login with other user.

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 01:31:22

[SNIP]

Hello George,

Please read: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

I just answered your question in comp.unix.admin.

 Michael Heiming
--
Remove +SIGNS

Post by Bill Marcu » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:31:54

>I create a new user and later on when I login with root, when I typed
>username: root, and password... and got the error message"Unable to
>access home directory. Click OK to start a Failsafe session, or Cancel
>to restart login. So I must use Failsafe interface to do anything
>related with root.
>But I can login with other user to access to CDE.
>How to solve that problem?
>Thanks!

Has root's home directory been deleted, or moved to a filesystem that is not
mounted?  Create a new home directory, or change it in /etc/passwd.

1. Login problem with root, but can successfully login with other user to access CDE

I create a new user and later on when I login with root, when I typed
username: root, and password... and got the error message"Unable to
access home directory. Click OK to start a Failsafe session, or Cancel
to restart login."
So I must use Failsafe interface to do anything
related with root.
But I can login with other user to access to CDE.
How to solve that problem?
Thanks!

2. Duplicate HD using cpio

3. Solved: root login OK, user login incorrect.

4. Microsoft extensions are bad news.

5. 'failed running login shell' no non-root user login possible

6. pico

7. root can login, others can't

8. log file security warning question

9. FTP login problem - real users cannot login

10. problem: Login after AIX 5L install: login prompt reappears after entering user name

11. SOLVED: FTP login problem - real users cannot login

12. First user to login captures sounds, others are SOL

13. Login to NIS (yp) client as user shows $USER as root!