How Can I know when I am logged on in a person logon on

How Can I know when I am logged on in a person logon on

Post by () » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
   I wanted to know if there is some way to let me know of someone gets
logged on without me fingering to see . Something like a notify that susch
a person is just logged on...I want something running on csh please
Simon

How Can I know when I am logged on in a person logon on

Post by Michael Sad » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

You may want to set the watch csh varible;  the folowing
is from the csh manual on a Sun.  (I am not sure is this is
available on all versions of csh.)

        Mike

watch (+)
A list of user/terminal pairs to watch for logins and logouts. If either
the user is `any' all
terminals are watched for the given user and vice versa. Setting watch
to `(any any)' watches
all users and terminals. For example,

set watch = (george ttyd1 any console $user any)

reports activity of the user `george' on ttyd1, any user on the console,
and oneself (or a
trespasser) on any terminal.

Logins and logouts are checked every 10 minutes by default, but the
first word of watch can
be set to a number to check every so many minutes. For example,

set watch = (1 any any)

reports any login/logout once every minute. For the impatient, the log
builtin command
triggers a watch report at any time. All current logins are reported (as
with the log builtin)
when watch is first set.

Quote:

Post by Remco Wou » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>   I wanted to know if there is some way to let me know of someone gets
>logged on without me fingering to see . Something like a notify that susch
>a person is just logged on...I want something running on csh please
>Simon

The tcsh has this feature (set watch=(user tty....)). Look up the right syntax
in the manual.

--

tel/fax:+31-(0)1131-571920/3616      |Vierstraat 28, 4401 EA Yerseke

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. Your mail in c.o.l.s

3. How do I know I am not logging into a Trojan horse?

4. performance of T3

5. I am a Linux Know Nothing, would like to know

6. SMP & Clustering

7. Am I the only person around with a 40 gig HD?

8. inetd changes

9. Am I the only person who's bridge freezes the entire system?

10. CHALLENGE TO PERSONS KNOWING OF THE LINUX

11. I am unable to logon to server as user 'root'

12. remotely finding where person logged from?

13. Dont know what I am looking at...