what is an eggdrop bot?

Post by Kevin Kelleh » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I've been seeing notices on several ISPs
warning against using "eggdrop bots" but
have been unable to find an explanation of
what they are.  Can someone tell me?

Thanks,

Kevin Kelleher (address altered to avoid spam)

what is an eggdrop bot?

Post by Jeremy Mat » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>I've been seeing notices on several ISPs
>warning against using "eggdrop bots" but
>have been unable to find an explanation of
>what they are.  Can someone tell me?

"eggdrop bots" are scripts used by various folks to provide important
services (e.g. magic 8-ball, among others) to channels on the IRC (chat
system where too much time has been wasted :).  ISP's could be worried
about security holes in the bot, or the 24 hour 7 day a week load needed
to run a bot.

--
Jeremy Mates                                "waffle opsomaniac at large"

PGP Public Key: send me email w/ "Gimmie PGP Key" in subject of message.

what is an eggdrop bot?

Post by Ron Bergero » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

This is from www.whatis.com:

Q: What is an eggdrop bot?

A: An eggdrop bot is something that originated on unix based
systems. It basically is a program that runs as a background task.
It stays on IRC in a channel you specify inside of a configuration
file. The beauty of a eggdrop bot is that if it is compiled on your
ISPs shell account, it will stay online even when you logoff your
ISP. If set up in crontab the bot can even be reloaded automatically
if your ISP reboots their system or manually kills the task. An
eggdrop bot will control the channel, it keeps track of who is
supposed to be an operator, controls flooding and
will keep records of who is permanently banned. There are far too
many features to explain here, so get the archive and read the docs.
The best thing about an eggdrop is the TCL scripting system, with
this you are able to have the bot do anything you wish.

> I've been seeing notices on several ISPs
> warning against using "eggdrop bots" but
> have been unable to find an explanation of
> what they are.  Can someone tell me?

> Thanks,

> Kevin Kelleher (address altered to avoid spam)

1. Free Shells and Free To Run IRC bots (eggdrop bots)

I would just like to know is there anyone out there who knows of a shell
account which lets you run IRC bots on there to for free not asking for a
donation or a certain fee for you to run them on their shell ?. Cheers !.

--
keep the blue flag flying high!
         Jordan-cfc

2. Firewall Xkey authentication Calculator (S/key and MDAUTH)

3. Unix Telnet Shell A/C - TCL for EggDrop Bot

4. xkbcomp errors

5. apache and tomcat

6. Looking For A Shell To Run 2 Eggdrop IRC Bots..

7. Kernel problem

8. Please, need shell provider to run eggdrop bot

9. REQ: A free shell to run a eggdrop bot on!

10. can i run eggdrop bot with ftp?

11. vt100, vt100-am, vt100-bot-s . . .

12. UNIX Free shell accounts Bots allowed Cuentas shell bajo unix gratis permiten bots