Unformatting Man Pages

Post by d.. » Sat, 16 Apr 1994 09:39:12

I need to convert HP-UX ver 9.0 man pages
into ascii text to be downloaded to a PC. I
looked at the FAQ's first and found nothing,
so I would really appreciate any suggestions
you might have.

Send replies directly to my e-mail.
I will condense them into one article and
post the article back to the newsgroup.

Thanks,
Dan de Geus.

Unformatting Man Pages

Post by John Furlo » Sat, 16 Apr 1994 17:19:07

|> I need to convert HP-UX ver 9.0 man pages
|> into ascii text to be downloaded to a PC. I
|> looked at the FAQ's first and found nothing,
|> so I would really appreciate any suggestions
|> you might have.

If it's not in the FAQ's it ought to be as it is something that
frequently comes up.

1 way is to pipe through 'col -b', which removes all the back-spacing.
Try :-
        man man | col -b > FILE

No doubt other people will have a favourite method.

John.
______
  John Furlong, Silicon Graphics Ltd.

Unformatting Man Pages

Post by Noah Hest » Sun, 17 Apr 1994 22:28:24

:
:
:
: I need to convert HP-UX ver 9.0 man pages
: into ascii text to be downloaded to a PC. I
: looked at the FAQ's first and found nothing,
: so I would really appreciate any suggestions
: you might have.
:
: Send replies directly to my e-mail.
: I will condense them into one article and
: post the article back to the newsgroup.
:
:
: Thanks,
: Dan de Geus.
:
:

     Redirect the output to a file. (If downloading to a DOS PC
     you may have to tr -d '\15'  to get rid of the ^M)

     For example:

     man cron > cron.txt
     tr -d '\15'  < cron.txt  > cron.out

Hope this helps.

Noah Hester

Cleveland State University

    Cleveland, Ohio, USA - A host for the 1994 World Series.

1. Unformatting man pages

Does anyone know how to unformat a man page - none of the roff's that
I've tried do the job.  I'm running a 3B2/400 which doesn't come
with a man program,  but I need to be able to read the man pages that
come with assorted other programs.  Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanx in advance!

2. RedHat on Thinkpad with blown trackpoint

3. Where are unformatted man-pages ?

4. Personal Finance Software

5. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!

6. module kernel version

7. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

8. problem with cbq

9. Help man -k <string> prints unformatted output

10. man a man page file at unspecified directory

11. double man pages in man and cat

12. How do I add man pages to man path for new app

13. How to make local man page viewable by man