Procmail and Zephyr

Post by Lekeas G » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:13:24

Hi All,

We are running procmail and zephyr on our servers to provide users with
visual alerts every time an email arrives at their mailbox. I was reading
the manual pages of zephyr trying to see if I can change the format of the
alert ( at present the string You have new mail! is printed as well as the
sender, the recipient and the subject of the email) but I couldn't find
any information on how you can actually change the information on the
alert.

I want, basically, to be able to include some lines from the mail as well
on the user's display. Could anybody guide me on how to go about it?

Thanks in advance.

George

Procmail and Zephyr

Post by boltanu » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:22:21

Is Zephyr compiler developed by Jack Davison in *ia University ?

Quote:> Hi All,

> We are running procmail and zephyr on our servers to provide users with
> visual alerts every time an email arrives at their mailbox. I was reading
> the manual pages of zephyr trying to see if I can change the format of the
> alert ( at present the string You have new mail! is printed as well as the
> sender, the recipient and the subject of the email) but I couldn't find
> any information on how you can actually change the information on the
> alert.

> I want, basically, to be able to include some lines from the mail as well
> on the user's display. Could anybody guide me on how to go about it?

> Thanks in advance.

> George

Procmail and Zephyr

Post by Lekeas G » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:26:32

It is part of MIT's Athena project...what is the link for the compiler you
are referring to?

> Is Zephyr compiler developed by Jack Davison in *ia University ?

> > Hi All,

> > We are running procmail and zephyr on our servers to provide users with
> > visual alerts every time an email arrives at their mailbox. I was
reading
> > the manual pages of zephyr trying to see if I can change the format of
the
> > alert ( at present the string You have new mail! is printed as well as
the
> > sender, the recipient and the subject of the email) but I couldn't find
> > any information on how you can actually change the information on the
> > alert.

> > I want, basically, to be able to include some lines from the mail as
well
> > on the user's display. Could anybody guide me on how to go about it?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > George

Procmail and Zephyr

Post by boltanu » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 04:13:27

I have studied retargetable compiler.
Zephyr is such a retargetable comipiler.
This is only about zephry I know...

Procmail and Zephyr

Post by Vijayvithal Jahagirda » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:11:19

This is not with Zephyr but what you can do is have a script which copies
the relevent part of the header and body the portion of the mail to a file
and invoke a popup program (I am using 'gdialog')to display that file. and
whenever you get a new mail you can have procmail invoke that script as its
action.
what I used to do is
'mailx -H>~/.mail.fil  &&  gdialog --textbox ~/.mail.fil 10 110 >&
/dev/null   && netscape47 -remote openInboxAndGetNewMessages >& /dev/null
&& ~/bin/gensigs '

you will need to make suitable modifications
Regards
Jags

--
Attaching meaning to meaningless numbers is worse than not having the numbers at all.
Jahagirdar .V.S